Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Burford Holly Hedge

Posted by Allen456 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 11:37

Next week I'm going to plant a row of 20 Dwarf Burfords about 3' apart. This area is currently covered by hybrid bermuda sod. I plan on renting a sod cutter and peeling up an 18" wide row of sod, planting the hollys, and mulching with pine bark. Anything else I should consider? This area is served by my sprinkler system.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Burford Holly Hedge

sprinkling transplants is not good enough..

refer to the link for planting and PROPER WATERING advice ...

you might also have to deal with overgrown/circling roots in potted plants ... sometimes its not as simple as shoving them in the ground ...

take the time to do it right ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks. I will check the roots when they go in the ground. Soaker hose is an option.

o

any chance we might talk you into actually bending over.. and testing the soil at depth for proper watering ... and watering when they need it.. insert finger to 2 or 3 inches at say.. every other plant for this summer.. per week ...

instead of relying on every other trick in the book ...

unless you have highly engineered profession drip hose... i would not rely on bigboxstore recycled tire hose.. for an application over 60 to 80 feet.. and guessing when you need to run it ... it simply does not work.. in a predictable manner.. across the distance ...

that stuff might be ok for maintenance water in the future.. but if you want to protect your investment.. i would suggest you be proactive in INSURING DEEP PROPER WATERING ... according to the previous link ...

try one of the products at the link .. and add a water shutoff between it and the hose ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Allen, have you considered the expected size of Burford Hollies in a few years?

o

Thanks again, Ken. I was considering inexpensive soaker hoses coming from both ends, and each served by a different spigot.

Rhizo, yes, I have. At the closest point, my neighbors house is only 20' away, with windows in each house facing each other. I'm hoping for an eventual 8'-10' high hedge, with the width being about the same. My only concern beyond eventual privacy, is being able to walk between the hedge and the houses. We should each be left with 10', wide enough for vehicle if necessary.

o

I'd also consider a good weed block material around the new plants the length of the bed -- as well as a barrier border. Bermuda will grow right back into the area, and maybe even come up from old roots, won't it?

o

Dave, I use 2" of mulch to block weeds, sometimes I first add a sheet of corrugated cardboard if I'm mulching an area I don't plan to garden for awhile.

Anyways, 21 dwarf burford hollies are now aligned in a 60' long hedge on the southwest side of my house. Ended up making two passes with a sodcutter to a width of 36", followed by a bicep-busting 30 minute session with a rototiller! Broke up the rootballs (thank goodness I sharpened my machete!) and mulched with pine bark. Thoroughly watered them in, and imagined a smiling Ken standing alongside as I did.

This post was edited by Allen456 on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 6:52

o

Before

o

After. I'll put a reminder on my calendar to post yearly updates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here