Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Witch Hazel and shape question

Posted by libraqueen81 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 11:49

Hello! I'm zone 5, I want to get a Witch hazel but there are so many to choose from. I want more red and orange foliage per autumn and a bright folliage in summer time.
Zone 5 people with witch hazels: Which ones do you have and which seem most reliable in terms of coloring and beauty in the different seasons?

Second question is, I read up on the different "shapes" of the shrubs and am confused by up right and vase shaped. Can some one please break it down for me? The wishape of witch hazel I am hoping for is 8-10 tall and with hopes it will spread out wide!
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Witch Hazel and shape question

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 18:01

They all grow in some version of a vase shape and will get taller and wider than 10 ft. over time - be sure to allow for plenty of spread.

o

the one i had in my Z5 MI .... that did not grow with any vigor at all ... not that it died or anything... i just never saw it growing into a large plant ... and i had it at least 7 years or so ...

but that was 25 odd years ago...

i THINK... the name had something to do with arnold ... otherwise... of the 1750 plants i potted and moved to my new house.. i left this one ... if that tells you much of anything ...

i was not really interested in crawling out there.. in the middle of late winter.. to see some miniscule flower.... and the plant was a bit lackluster the rest of the year ...

so that begs the question ... why are you so interested in WHazel????

imho .... there are a lot more... better.. options ... but if you insist.. all the power to ya..

what about a fragrant viburnam ... like mohawk ... to die for scent ... and it will get to the size you want .. and when it does.. you cant kill it for mowing it down with a truck ... lol ..

so at least tell us.. where in z5 you are.. its a giant area ...

ken

ps: to me.. vase shape implies... a single trunk ... and a "V' on top ... like a vase ... upright would be more like a cylinder ... from earth to sky ... as wide from top to bottom ... google WH arnold.. flip to the images side ....and you will see that .. in theory .. they are vase shaped ... and mine never looked like those.. lol... vase shape.. is improved.. with some selective pruning...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 12:21

'Arnold Promise' is a large and vigorous kind frequent on the market that is named after the Arnold Arboretum. 7 years is not long enough to see a fully developed specimen, especially if it was having problems.

o

This is what is worth going out in the winter to see.

Plant it near your daily circuit, and no extra effort is required.

I have plenty of the fragrant viburnums, too, which provide another round of olfactory satisfaction months later.

o

Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 12:02

Planting needs an evergreen backdrop - especially the Hamamelis.

o

I have Jelena which usually is the first to bloom in late Feb. Very cool plant. Another is the common witch hazel which is my last to bloom into January.

o

Thanks everyone!
I'm IL Z5. Have a large wooded lot ..in a hill! Hubby doesn't want to mow grass anymore so he suggested I plant everywhere! Sun and shade zones on my property are weird due to the trees and bare patches, so I've been trying to think out of the box.

I have a lot of windows in my home so seeing the colored blooms on a witch hazel will not be too difficult..there's no way I will plant something I have to trudge downhill to see in the snow! I love copper and red-orange colors...so I think I may try a Jelena or Diane. I like big plants..so if they get monstrous, that will make me happy.

Thank you for clearing up the shape confusion because I just look at a plant and think..oh its a bush or oh its globe like..I guess I have fear of getting something that's too formed..I want my garden to be more relaxed in form.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here