Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libraqueen81

Witch Hazel and shape question

libraqueen81
10 years ago

Hello! I'm zone 5, I want to get a Witch hazel but there are so many to choose from. I want more red and orange foliage per autumn and a bright folliage in summer time.
Zone 5 people with witch hazels: Which ones do you have and which seem most reliable in terms of coloring and beauty in the different seasons?

Second question is, I read up on the different "shapes" of the shrubs and am confused by up right and vase shaped. Can some one please break it down for me? The wishape of witch hazel I am hoping for is 8-10 tall and with hopes it will spread out wide!
Thank you!

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

They all grow in some version of a vase shape and will get taller and wider than 10 ft. over time - be sure to allow for plenty of spread.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the one i had in my Z5 MI .... that did not grow with any vigor at all ... not that it died or anything... i just never saw it growing into a large plant ... and i had it at least 7 years or so ...

but that was 25 odd years ago...

i THINK... the name had something to do with arnold ... otherwise... of the 1750 plants i potted and moved to my new house.. i left this one ... if that tells you much of anything ...

i was not really interested in crawling out there.. in the middle of late winter.. to see some miniscule flower.... and the plant was a bit lackluster the rest of the year ...

so that begs the question ... why are you so interested in WHazel????

imho .... there are a lot more... better.. options ... but if you insist.. all the power to ya..

what about a fragrant viburnam ... like mohawk ... to die for scent ... and it will get to the size you want .. and when it does.. you cant kill it for mowing it down with a truck ... lol ..

so at least tell us.. where in z5 you are.. its a giant area ...

ken

ps: to me.. vase shape implies... a single trunk ... and a "V' on top ... like a vase ... upright would be more like a cylinder ... from earth to sky ... as wide from top to bottom ... google WH arnold.. flip to the images side ....and you will see that .. in theory .. they are vase shaped ... and mine never looked like those.. lol... vase shape.. is improved.. with some selective pruning...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Arnold Promise' is a large and vigorous kind frequent on the market that is named after the Arnold Arboretum. 7 years is not long enough to see a fully developed specimen, especially if it was having problems.

• viburnumvalley
    10 years ago

This is what is worth going out in the winter to see.

Plant it near your daily circuit, and no extra effort is required.

I have plenty of the fragrant viburnums, too, which provide another round of olfactory satisfaction months later.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Planting needs an evergreen backdrop - especially the Hamamelis.

• mainegard3
    10 years ago

I have Jelena which usually is the first to bloom in late Feb. Very cool plant. Another is the common witch hazel which is my last to bloom into January.

• libraqueen81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    I'm IL Z5. Have a large wooded lot ..in a hill! Hubby doesn't want to mow grass anymore so he suggested I plant everywhere! Sun and shade zones on my property are weird due to the trees and bare patches, so I've been trying to think out of the box.

I have a lot of windows in my home so seeing the colored blooms on a witch hazel will not be too difficult..there's no way I will plant something I have to trudge downhill to see in the snow! I love copper and red-orange colors...so I think I may try a Jelena or Diane. I like big plants..so if they get monstrous, that will make me happy.

Thank you for clearing up the shape confusion because I just look at a plant and think..oh its a bush or oh its globe like..I guess I have fear of getting something that's too formed..I want my garden to be more relaxed in form.

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago

ViburnumValley really would like some suggestions. Really want a strongly fragrant Witch Hazel that is a little more compact growing, less wide than tall and blooms, when totally leafless. Orange to Red fall color preferred over yellow leaves. Past 'sniff tests' liked a 'Pallida' like fragrance. Would 'Wisely Supreme' or 'Boskoop' be a good choice, or do you other suggestions? ('Arnold Promise' has nice shape and size but has less intense fragrance than wished.)

Also what is you favorite Viburnum for fragrance strength, bloom density and length of bloom, which can stay in the 5-7' size range? Any experience with a newer one called 'Spice Girl'?

Also looking for a good compact highly fragrant Mock Orange. Internet research makes 'Snow White Sensation' tempting. Have a favorite in this class?

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

LibraQueen81 I'd put a Witch Hazel Pallida in the most sunny location you can. It gets large and fragrance will carry better than many others.

If zone 6 or higher, it sounds like a potentially great location for Hydrangea (add more compost dug deeply if on dry side). Hydrangea have extremely long bloom season, wide range of colors and leaf textures (not yellow or orange though), and you will see them from a distance! Fast growing and easy to propigate on site to fill the space (try ground layering). $10 - 30 can fill a 6' space in 3-4 years if plant right and match light needs. Added a few internet photos to get you thinking.

The last one was from our former house along the front of our shady yard. Only 1 - 2 hr direct sun daily. Hydrangea aspera 'Macrophylla' and two Hygrangea macrophylla 'Mathilda Gutges' are there, along with 7' Orepet Lily 'Con D'Ora.

Best part is with most macrophylla Hydrangea you can shift colors with pH adjustment or Aluminum Sulphate addition. The photo above is a start of the same deep cobalt blue Mathilda above in the the new yard with uneven garden lime addition. Colors can be anywhere between deep colbalt blue, purple and saturated pink. So you can balance colors ranges ... or change your mind later, without replanting.

'Selina' can be deep pink to red and bronze foliage.

Need to fill space?

Our giant Hydrangea aspera (labeled 'Sargentianum' but not verified) was 12' x 12' and in almost complete shade, but bright and open. Would get double the bloom with just a little more light. The leaves are 12" long and you can see them at a distance.

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hydrangea macrophylla 'New Wine'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Revolution' both in our yard.

Fall color this year in a shady place in our yard Hydrangea serrata 'Beni Gaku'. Internet photo of the flowers I suspect if grown perfectly.

'Burning Embers'

Best part of growing Hydrangeas is all the cut flowers you will be taking to work or gifting visitors!