Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, forsythia taking over yard.

Posted by tempusflits 5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 12:00

I have a forsythia bush that is spreading across the yard. I've tried cutting the new growth down to the ground. But it just grows back. I will keep working on it. But I thought if anyone knew a trick or two, it might help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, forsythia taking over yard.

i have a trick.. get rid of it...

you either like it .... or you dont..

but why complain about it...

if your yard.. is too small for a given plant.. you either give it the yard.. or you edit it from your collection ... i mean really.. but for one week per year.. its a rather nondescript ugly bush.. whats its upside???? .. you can do so much better for year around interest.. IF ITS TAKING OVER A SMALL GARDEN ...

ken

o

I agree with Ken. My neighbor has a forsythia hedge between our properties. I finally had it with it encroaching on our front yard and one of my hosta gardens (we have 1/2 acre lots). I hacked it back to the property line and pulled out many by the roots. My neighbor initially thought I had cut back on her property, but she discovered on her own that I did not. It gave me an extra five feet for hosta, ferns, bulbs, etc. :)

Forsythia is one of those plants that just keeps spreading. Decide if the spring show gives you enough joy. Then, you will know whether to dig it up or just keep trimming it back. You can hack it way down and it will come back the next year!

o

If you are trying to get rid of it permanently, cut all of its stem to ground level and then mow over it every time you mow the grass to remove any sprouts. It may take a couple of years, but you should be able to get rid of it.

If you really like forsythia, there are smaller varieties available now that will take up less room, and you could replace it with one of those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here