Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cannot identify this...

Posted by saturn1956 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 12:28

Found this attached to a few of my Spireas can anyone identify this for me??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cannot identify this...

• Posted by simcan z5b/Toronto (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 15:12

Looks like you are the proud parent of the next generation of praying mantises in your garden. That is an egg case I believe.

o

should I remove it??

o

Praying mantis is a beneficial insect, although they have no problem killing and eating the butterflies. They are an interesting addition to the garden, and I do not think anyone ever explained why some mature brown and some mature green. When I was a kid we were told it was a crime to kill one. Why such a story would come is a mystery, but nobody questioned the truth of it.

o

I wouldn't remove it - Those mantises will eat all the bugs they can find (including themselves).

I don't know why this is, but I've noticed that mantises seem to like spireas.

o

here is the key for you:

momma used the branch to STICK the egg sack to ...

it is not harmful to the plant ...

the only reason to remove it.. is to put it in an aquarium to watch it all happen ... but then.. you are exposing the babes ...

ignore it ... check it every day.. later in spring ...

ken

o

Many gardeners pay money for these!

Here is a link that might be useful: On Sale at Amazon.com

o

The reason that there are green, brown, big and small mantids is because there are many, many different species.

Don't remove it to bring inside. Hatching will occur prematurely, forcing the babies to hunt down each other for food.

I don't like them. I find them in my flower garden where they are happy to snatch butterflies all day long. Even if moved to the veggie area, they'll move back within a few minutes.

I won't kill them, but will send them to work with my husband.

o

They eat honeybees as well. If it were me I'd leave it but just so you are aware. Once watched one for about an hour at the Huntington Garden in So Cal - it was sitting on a rose, calmly and deliberately munching away at a honeybee. People kept coming up to me to find out what I was observing so intently, thinking it was the gaudy pink rose. When they saw what it was, most left in disgust!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here