Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yew? and pruning

Posted by RachaelLemmon 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 13:06

I have a shrub that has grown too wide , into my walkway. It was here before me but i think its a yew... i hope it is because its my understanding that you can really cut them back. So what is it and when /how severely can i cut it back.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yew? and pruning

It certainly appears to be yew. And you can cut it to stumps but its in rather a small space so you'll need to keep doing it.

o

Yes they planted it at the top of my retaining wall, in a 4x4 corner. I just had the 12 foot wall rebuilt so I dare not pull it out of there.. I replaced the wall after a portion of it slid out, ivy and that yew were the only thing holding the wall up , they said. I would rather continue the railing straight across and take the shrub out but I'm afraid to mess with it since it's RIGHT on the edge of the wall. So when exactly could I do this? Up here the weather is still in the negative numbers at night.

o

get rid of it ;..

though it can be done... its going to be so stinkin' ugly.. that you will hate it ...

cut it to the ground... treat the stump with stump killer or 100% roundup ...

backfill with the stone thats under the decking.. and build the rest of the handrail ...

this plant will not recover from a hard pruning.. the way a perennial or something will ... i would suspect 3 to 5 years.. before it looks good again ..

and i dont really see a reason why you couldnt dig it out.. i wouldnt PULL it out.. as you said.. but again.. there is no reason to even bother digging.. just cut it flush and kill it ...

its like you have a million dollar.. very cool wall.. and a half a million dollar stairway ...

and a 3 dollar improperly placed .... ugly ... overgrown plant.... be done with it.. and perfect your million dollar facade ...

ken

o

Yeah, cut it off as low as you can and treat it with RoundUp, or a brush killer. It might take several times, but you won't have to use much, even at undiluted full strength. Full strength is the way to go to end the battle and move on as quickly as possible.
I'd plant a more appropriate plant for the space and a good groundcover. If the stump covers too much room for a narrow specimen plant replacement, just plant a groundcover.
Nice stairway and wall!
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here