Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davessels

Pyracantha, Koidzuni "Victory" not looking good

Debra Vessels
10 years ago

My pyracantha looked great a month ago, it was greening up, then we had a hard freeze. Now the top branches are completely brown, and the lower leaves have black spots on them. I planted it last year, so I am not sure what to expect for the first spring. Do you think it is disease, or just frost burned?

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Presumably cold damage + pyracantha scab. If it is going to be chronically subject to either in your location you might as well replace it with another kind of shrub.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

MIne is fried from the extended winter cold, but twigs are still green. So I'm holding out hope it will releaf this summer.

I'm in zone 7A.

P. koidzumii 'Victory' is a real nize pyracantha, (though more tender than P coccinea species), and they can take the heat - which you probably have in spades.

I wouldn't replace right away. This was an ususual winter. If it does OK 9 out of 10 years and you like it (and there's no permanant damage) I'd keep it.

My opinion.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

>and the lower leaves have black spots on them

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I did a little research and before I replace it, I will try to revive it. I will check with the Greenhouse I purchased it from, for their suggestions, but I did find a good page on cutting back and spraying with Bayer 3in1. If it isn't better by June, out it goes. I bought a Pyracantha for my view out my kitchen window because the neighbors view is so ugly. It doubled in size last summer, but I don't want to look at it like this. Thanks again, Deb

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

If you want something that is reliably evergreen year-round, even in the most severe winters for zone 6, then you'll need to choose something that is rated for zone 6.

'Victory' is rated a zone 7 plant, and even in that zone the leaves can fry (although the plant lives).

Maybe a Yaupon like 'Hoskin's Shadow' would survive for you. Are you in the panhandle somewhere?

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I particularly wanted a Pyracantha that I could shape against the fence, because it is planted at the side yard and my bed is about four feet deep. I also wanted it for the birds and bees. I did not realize Victory was zone 7 until after I got it home, but then you know according to the new zone map I am in zone 7, although I still consider myself in zone 6. I knew there was a chance it would brown. Is there a hardier Pyracantha for zone 6 that is more disease resistant? Like coccinea ? Yes, I am in the Panhandle, 45 miles north of Amarillo, where I purchased the Pyracantha at a reputable nursery. I am going Saturday to see what they suggest. Thanks agian.

• hortster
    10 years ago

Yukon Belle pyracantha is hardy to 5 or 5B.

hortster