Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune forsythia for upright growth?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 13:29

I have several well established forsythia plants that I would like to prune this spring after blooming and I would like to encourage them to put out long straight new branches specifically to use as cut flowers next year. Is there a specific way to prune forsythia to encourage an upright habit? Would it work to just cut them all the way to the ground immediately after blooming?

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune forsythia for upright growth?

absolutely.. up to 1/3 of the plant per year ....

though you probably couldnt kill it if you tried ... lol ... so you can probably cut the whole thing down .. not many plants i recommend doing that on.. but this is one ...

whether or not you get a great flower show next year ... is questionable on many variables... so maybe do half and half.. flowers will be maintained on the older branches ..

NEVER cut a branch at length .. always trim this shrub at the ground ...

since you have more than one.. try differing versions on each ...

since there will be no interference to the roots.. you might be amazed how fast these things regenerate ... have no fear ...

ken

o

Why is it that you say I might not get flowers next year? Around here (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) lots of people prune forsythia after it blooms in the spring. The plant then has the whole summer to put out new branches which always bloom the following spring.

o

I agree. I have some forsythias that I have cut back to the ground for several years. One summer's worth of growth and they put out long branches that are covered with blooms the next spring. Of course, this could be affected by how well established the plants are when this is done to them. They tend to be practically indestructible plants.

o

the only reason i qualified it.. was because sometimes.. all good intentions aside.. and even though you had a plan to do it minutes after flowering ended ...

sometimes you dont do it until july or august.. and then wonder why it didnt have time to grow and set buds for the next year ....

sounds like you will do it pronto .. go for it ...

a neighbor once trimmed an 8 to 10 foot severely overgrown forsythia down to about 2 foot.. in august .... moved it to my yard .. not prime moving time anywhere ... the darn thing refused to die ... the height was left just to facilitate movement ... and it lived.. if you can torture this plant like that and not kill it ... there is little you can do to harm yours... except for missing a flower show on year, if you time it wrong..

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here