Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Buddleia for specimen

Posted by elisabeth_pinelake 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 13:36

Can anyone help me choose a butterfly bush for this spot? I need a large shrub or small tree to shade an enclosed entryway which really heats up in the summer. I want something deciduous that will have leaves from about 4' off the ground to about 10' max. It will be surrounded by the driveway, a walkway, and the concrete skirting around the house, and will be about 6' from the house, so it can't get too big.

I thought a buddleia would be ideal, but not a huge shapeless mound - something that either has more shape or can be pruned to have more shape, and which is long flowering and fragrant. I briefly thought of buddleia linleyana, but it's not fragrant, and buddleia alternifolia has too short a bloom time and has to be trained. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Buddleia for specimen

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 13:57

Regional location?

o

gee bboy.. she is at pine lake.. doesnt that narrow it down for you.. lol ...

buddelia is not long lived enough for me in z5 ... and never got to the size you want.. but maybe its different in z7

as bboy notes.. we need a better idea of where you are to give suggestions. ...

ken

o

Douh, sorry = 7b outside Atlanta.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here