Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz321_gw

When should my unkillable smoke bush start to grow?

Liz321
11 years ago

I did not listen to Ken and I purchased a couple purple smoke bushes and planted them last fall. Also a yellow ;0) I took in to account the growth rate, and sited them far apart, way off the fence, away from wires, etc. My yard was a blank slate that needs structure.

So far, I've got not a touch of anything except what was left after the leaves finally fell over the winter. Any idea how long before they might show some life? I have a warranty, and they were dirt cheap, but I wonder how long to wait before I do something. :)
Liz

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

good for you.. you took information.. and made an informed decision.. so be it...

they will bud out.. when the soil warms.. deep enough thru the root zone.. that growth is triggered ...

and not knowing where you are.. we cant really tell you when that would be..

if you favor us with a large town name.. maybe someone near you.. will chime in...

and dont forget.. late transplants.. can do weird things.. and even be late just for that reason ...

if you want.. JUST ONCE.. scratch a branch ... if you find a green layer below.. if so .... so far so good.. black or brown.. is dead .. but please.. dont go running out there every day.. and utilizing your inner cat.. lol ...

patience rules..

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Cotinus (smoke bush) is late to leaf out. Mine have barely started and I'm in zone 9B. They are virtually unkillable so don't worry, listen to Ken and be patient.

• Liz321
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reassurances! I am down state in Royal Oak, facing directly due south slightly off Woodward Avenue, which is technically a zone 6, but ehhh.. after two years, it is feeling more like a 7 due to all my sun and lack of shade! Also, I know the concrete jungle keeps me warmer.

The ground isn't warm enough yet, since the Maltese terrorist has only scratched the surface of mud. When he can budge more than half a inch, I might go check, but only once! I swear.

Suppose I better toss out seed this weekend either, hmm? ;o)

11 years ago

so you are in metro detroit.. i am in adrain mi ...

there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO.. if your ground is frozen.. as you imply re: dog ...

perhaps a bit of spring fever ... ???

and throwing seed around.. will most likely simply be food for the greckles that just flew back into town ... what we tend to call the little blackirds.. rather than the crows ...

take the dog for a walk.. and chill out .. you are a few weeks early on actually accomplishing much outdoors ... other than general clean up ...

BTW.. welcome back to a z5 winter.. i dont care what 'they' told you your zone is ... it wasnt .. this year ...

and double BTW ... i heard a guy in town the other day.. apparently its a magnificent year on tapping maples.. i was surprised with the ground frozen and all.. but hey.. they are maples.. lol

ken

• Liz321
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spring Fever is absolutely correct!! :) I am bored to death. When I lived in Waterford, I absolutely considered myself a zone 5, but coming south 10 miles has made a big difference. It is like I passed some invisible line and had a zone leap or entered a micro-climate.. :) Or it is wishful thinking.
    WANT SPRING NOW

Maple Syruping? Omygoodness! Now that brings back seriously fond memories of childhood. The family used to help out up north for our share. Swoon.

11 years ago

I absolutely considered myself a zone 5, but coming south 10 miles has made a big difference.

==>>> you moved from a semi-rural area .. to the city.. big time..

my personal theory is based on jonie mitchel .. as in paved paradise.. and put in a blacktop ....

IMHO .. uneducated.. or i should say.. un-researched ... is that pavement.. cement/blacktop heats and retains heat.. all winter long ...... holding it long into the night .....and especially in spring.. giving you that little extra warmth .. at night .. after all.. zone is basically MIN winter temps ...

and that is why.. i might get a freeze.. and you might miss a light frost .... its all about.. IMHO.. how much pavement the city has .. as compared to my endless miles of bare dirt .... [not to mention wind swept.. compared to your houses being 10 feet apart.. etc ...]

i am rural down here between adrian and tecumseh .... and it never fails to amaze me.. is that my forsythia.... bloom a week or two later than the ones in that podunk miniscule town of Tecumseh ... 3 miles away ... what else could it be???

ken

• Liz321
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was actually quite shocked to feel such a difference in a ten milel move! I was out in the middle of the lakes, with northern oakland county warnings and winds. When I came south, the acres of swamps, water and parks were not there and it is just so much warmer.
    I moved a bazzillion hosta expecting them to do well here, but the sun is frying them with no old shade trees and the clayish dirt. . This weekend is it too early to move some? arrgg I know I know.. new thread now.

You are truly rural..lol I am concrete jungle, but I do love it.