Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Holly winter damage

Posted by persongardener 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 14:04

Last fall I planted 3 (3 gal.) Ilex crenata in a raised berm (18 inches) under a deciduous tree. We had a cold winter, but plenty of moisture. All three of the Japanese hollies look dead, but the inner stems show signs of life if I clip them. There is no new growth yet. I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and replace them or give it a while to see if they are going to rejuvenate. Has anyone out there had pretty severe winter damage to these hollies before? How long did it take for them to come back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Holly winter damage

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 14:11

These are very hardy, although maybe yours may not have had time to root out before the cold came.

Root rot can be a problem with this species.

o

The raised berm was supposed to help prevent root rot. Hardiness was part of the reason I chose this plant. We usually have such mild winters, so maybe I did plant a little late. I think I'll give them a couple more weeks to see if any green appears.

o

I had holly that looked dead with green on the inner parts. They resprouted leaves when it warmed up and were fine.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 1:08

If a plant comes already infested it can go downhill after planting, regardless of conditions provided by new site.

If planted with intact potting soil or field soil root-balls, quite different in texture from the surrounding soil on the new site there can be problems with how water enters and exists the original soil balls.

This is also why you do not want to plant in amended backfill, the amended planting hole may have water movement problems.

If there is also an intact potting soil or field soil root-ball inside the amended planting hole, then you now have three different soil textures involved.

o

on pruning .. when i doubt .. give it another month .. or two ...

you can ALWAYS take it off later...

but you can never put them back on ...

ken

o

I have seen a lot of winter damage on hollies. If the wood is green you will be surprised what they do when temps are right. I have tipped mine back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here