Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Witch Hazels blooming anywhere yet?

Posted by mattman587 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 14:07

Anyone's Witch Hazel's blooming yet? If so, how bout some pictures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Witch Hazels blooming anywhere yet?

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 21:11

Mine usually bloom in early to mid Feb...sometimes late Jan. For some reason my hybrids and vernalis bloom in that same time frame.

Nothing yet. I do have several selections on the way this spring.

I'll post if any open up.

o

I love witchhazel and my Jelena usually opens Feb 21. So far, no flower bud clusters except 1. Should all the flower buds clusters be visible at this point? Can't distinguish between those and leaf buds. It's been a very cold winter so I suspect it delayed or perhaps killed some buds.

o

Yes, the two I walk by in my neighborhood are in full bloom since last week.

o

Why, yes.

'Jelena'...

o

And there's more!

'Diane'....

o

Can't be without a yeller feller, like:

H. mollis 'Wisley Supreme'...

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 21:15

VV, is Wisley usually that florous or is that just a really nice cluster on that branch?

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

o

'Wisley Supreme' is better than that picture. My little plant is just getting its legs under it, after being abused in a container for a couple years.

I will try to get images of older established plants in our parks in Louisville, so that you can see how tremendous this selection really is.

o

Vernal Witch Hazel taken today against the snow. The bitty flowers are impervious to cold.
 photo 03-07-14001.jpg
'Pallida' in bloom today with its spicey sweet flowers. This selection does not have the stiff, upright habid of 'AP' instead it is more graceful and picturesque, also flowering is earlier since 'AP' has not opened up yet.
 photo 03-07-14003.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here