Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
common salmon pink quince

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 14:21

looks like the voracious rabbits have girdled all 20 or so of the trunks ...

i presume i am out of luck for bloom ... unless they can bloom on stored energy ....

but is there any reason to think otherwise.. that these are not 'run it over with the truck' plants... and with no insult to the root system... that i should not be back to a 4 foot tall shrub by fall ...???

ken

ps: its the type that you can NOT make jelly from... we tried last fall ... if you recall that post ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: common salmon pink quince

I think they will recover. Chaenomeles are tough.

What method did you use for the jelly? I've made jelly from mine. Worked fine.

o

yes flora... we went thru all that in the old post .. and thx again ...

my method involved talking the mother of one of my boys friends into doing it .. gratis ... lol.... it didnt work out... lol ... i suspect she did not cook the fruit long enough.. prior to the actual canning ... i read.. that it was supposed to turn pink from cooking ... PRIOR to the start of the canning ....

regardless.. after 14 years of wondering.. we tried .... and it doesnt look like this year it will flower and therefore fruit ...

ken

o

I make jelly from cydonia oblongata tree quince.....not the tiny little chaenomeles quinces.....although they do fruit but such an effort compared to Vranja's fat golden globes of fragrance.....and those blossoms. Mind, I have medlars too but nothing induces me to eat them, bletted or otherwise.

As for chopping and hacking - chop away - they are tough as old boots and will come back from hard stooling (although it will take a season or two because they are not superfast growers.

o

they are tough as old boots and will come back from hard stooling

===>>> well campy ... you just added two new comments to my lexicon ...

though i dont know if i can use the latter.. with a straight face ... lol .. perhaps when i do it.. i should increase its fiber ... lol

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here