Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming shrubs for shaded woodland

Posted by sakicat 6 AR (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 14:31

I want to plant some blooming shrubs in a lightly wooded area near my driveway...I prefer no azaleas or rhododendrums...Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like things that would add color at different times of the year. Also the ground there is on the dry side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming shrubs for shaded woodland

This is a list I made (note that water requirements are not listed and therefore you'll need to do a little research) Also this list was compiled for a friend, hence the notes; please disregard if seems silly:

Shade Plants:

Shrubs:
Acer palmatum (Japanese Maple) NEEDS WATER
Buxus ("Boxwood")
Daphne
Enkianthus
Euonymous (any)
Hydrangea (any) NEEDS WATER
Ilex ("Holly")
Rhododendron/Azalea (Deciduous or Evergreen)
Symphoricarpos ("Snowberry" birds love this shrub for its attractive & edible white berries)
Tsuga canadensis ("Hemlock") Tons of cultivars all are suited for shade. Cultivars with color will do very well.

Ground Covers:
Vinca ("Periwinkle") very vining, not my favorite but very useful and better than "Ivy"

Perennials/Bulbs:
Aconitum ("Monkshood")
Ajuga ("Carpet Bugle") Great plants! Tons of color variation available and they spread/multiply
Alchemilla ("Ladys Mantle")
Anemone ("Windflower") Real nice perennials!
Aquilegia ("Columbine") Too are very nice perennials and they multiply readily dispersing seeds
Astilbe ("False Spirea") Great perennial (perennial means it comes back every year)
Begonia an annual meaning its a one season planting that doesnt come back each year.
Bergenia Big leaved Perennial decent plant
Campanula ("Bellflower") some take shade.
Coleus an annual but very tropical looking and will reseed (comeback) billions of them
Convallaria majalis ("Lily of The Valley) personally I hate this plant because it multiplies too fast.
Dicentra ("Bleeding Heart") Perennial my mom loves these.
Digitalis ("Foxglove") A must! They multiply by seed and pop up randomly great plant!
Ferns (any) try like "Japanese Painted Fern" its striking!
Geranium ("Cranesbill) best color perennial you can get! A VERY must! Get only the Cranesbill"
Heuchera ("Coral Bells") Fantastic Plants! Check the internet for the gobs of different ones! GREAT!
Hosta A person could use hosta alone there are so many different ones.
Impatiens (annuals do not come back each year but have color all spring, summer and fall)
Iris Sword-like foliage and short lived flowers but the foliage spikes are nice for variety.
Lamium maculatum ("Dead Nettle") some good ones.
Lilium (Lily) load up on these!
Lysmachia ("Moneywort) Great
Myosotis ("Forget Me Not") Great BLUE perennial that blooms in Spring.
Tradescantia ("Spiderwort") Good Bloomers! Many colors Perennial
Viola (Pansy)

o

Here are a few more!

Late winter, early spring:

Witch hazel - Hamamelis x intermedia - Diane is a nice red, blooms for a long period in late winter, and can be kept shrub-sized or let to grow larger.

Dawn Viburnum - V. bodnantense 'Dawn' blooms (pink) at about the same time; if zapped by frost some of the flowers recover, others don't.

Spice bush - Lindera benzoin, yellow blooms in March

Late summer/Fall:

Sweet pepper bush - Clethra alnifolia - fragrant white or pink blooms in mid to late summer

Seven Son Flower - Heptacodium miconioides - late summer, white.
Hardy Beauty Berry - Callicarpa bodinieri - pink flowers, violet-purple berries that remain attractive for a long time

Oak-Leaf Hydrangea - H. quercifolia - white flowers turn pink as they age. very tolerant of adverse conditions

o

Summersweet and sweetspire (depending upon how much shade there is).

o

I'll second the oak leaf hydrangea and various viburnums. Viburnum Judii, Maresi, Buckthorn, are all good candidates.
Elaine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here