Pruning Holly

Posted by gamekeeper NH (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 14:33

When is the best time to prune Holly?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Holly

Which holly? What type of pruning / how much pruning are we talking about?

o

My inlaws have a hedge of hollies, perhaps blue princess & prince, or something similar. We cut branches in late fall to use for holiday decorations, and then in the spring, once danger of really cold, dry weather has passed, any winter damage gets pruned off before new growth starts. It seems to thrive with this treatment, but I don't know what the official recommendations are. We are a few miles north of Concord.

o

What you've been doing is perfectly fine. It might be a better idea to remember when you should NOT prune. Avoid late summer through fall for any substantial pruning or shearing.

Damaged or broken branches should be removed at any time.

o

Mainly interested in shaping,already remove dead and damaged at anytime

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here