Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting Flower Buds on Viburnum from Cold

Posted by ejr2005 Eastern MA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 15:23

I'm so excited - my Viburnum carlesii has flower buds for the first time since I planted a small plant about three years ago. It's supposed to get down to 22 degrees here Monday night - wondering if I need to cover it. I had a large wire cage around it over the winter (my critters love those tasty shoots) so it would be pretty easy to drape something over the cage if need be.

Also wondering if my V. carlesii and V. x burkwoodie 'Mohawk' could pollinate each other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting Flower Buds on Viburnum from Cold

Hard to see how a sheet could protect agains a very hard freeze.

o

I hope the poster from eastern MA successfully protected the viburnums against the nasty freezing temps.

V. carlesii and 'Mohawk' can indeed cross pollinate - V. carlesii is one of the parents of 'Mohawk'. As long as they overlap in bloom time and there are pollinating insects in action, you should be rewarded with some fruit set on these plants.

o

Thanks guys. I put a sheet and an old quilt over the cage. Don't know how effective it was - the wind was really strong and was blowing the covers around along with the rocks I tried to anchor them with.

The buds look pretty much the same to my eye - time will tell. My Mohawk unfortunately only has one bud. I moved it last year and it had taken about 3 years to get any buds in its original spot. At least I'll see if they open at the same time, though this year is so crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here