Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Spire Euonymus

Posted by JHazzardB none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 15:41

Hey everyone, I've never posted on the Shrub section before but I'm stumped.

I can't find a place to order some Green Spire's from. Some places are able to keep shipping way down. I probably need around 30 or so, doesn't matter how large they are (preferably small around 12"). I'm just hoping someone knows someplace that they trust the shipping on with pretty decent prices.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Spire Euonymus

Here are some mail order sources:

Cloud Mountain Farm & Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog ratings) www.cloudmountainfarm.com
Joy Creek Nursery (very good Garden Watchdog ratings) www.joycreek.com
Lazy S'S Farm Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog ratings) www.lazyssfarm.com
Secret Garden Growers (very good Garden Watchdog ratings) www.secretgardengrowers.com
Tiny Treasures Nursery (good Garden Watchdog ratings) www.tinytreasuresnursery.com

I'll leave it to you to evaluate their shipping charges.

Personally (once I was sure I wanted this plant), I'd probably contact a local full-service nursery and let them purchase them for me to save on shipping.

o

man i hate Euonymus

cant we find you anything better???

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 12:01

Common in local outlets where I live.

o

Hey guys thanks!

Ken, I actually am trying to build a green wall of sorts. My neighbors fence is 4 feet tall on his side and 5 feet on my side... power lines runs directly above the fence line (at 12-15ft high) with a 5 foot manhole placed right on the fence line. Flower bed that runs this length is 3 feet deep.

I've looked through Sky pencil hollies which look outstanding. They're just so pricey and take so long. I've thought about hornbeam and the other birch one similar. I've thought about Nellie Stevens. Red Tip Photinia, Nandinas. Wax Myrtles, Camellias, Ivy with a wire trellis. And a tons more, I'd love more suggestions that fit the description of: Evergreen, around 3 feet wide, 8 feet tall, bushy and soft.

I'd appreciate all expertise and off the wall comments too!
J Hazzard

o

It would help to know where you are located - hardiness zone - as Green Spire euonymus is not the greatest selection in areas that can experience some good winter cold. Even in my pretty mild zone 8 you can get quite a lot of dieback after a good arctic blast. Knowing your hardiness zone can increase the number and suitablility of other suggestions as well.

Also....how ameanable are you to pruning?

o

Sorry, I thought my zone and info were next to my name...weird.

I'm in Oklahoma City. I'd say around zone 7. All of the hedges around my house are euonymus and have received very little die back in the last 2 years. I have lost a shrub that might be attributed to too little water in the summer. I actually enjoy the pruning and clipping. I get to put them in the leaf vac shredder thing and use for mulch in the lawn. But I'm not really thinking about pruning these; I like the jagged edge of a background in some sort of fashion.

Thank you for your consideration!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 0:25

I've had it freeze back also. Probably the problem is it failing to mature in our low summer temperatures, or something similar, like a fungal or bacterial infestation associated with cool conditions. USNA rates it Zone 7, if based on DC (or otherwise eastern) experience markedly hotter growing seasons would be involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: The U.S. National Arboretum presents Euonymus japonicus 'Green Spire', a remarkable euonymus from Japan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here