Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Loropetalum "Rosy Glow"

chueh
10 years ago

I have had Loropetalums: the plum and the other one similar to the plum variety. They have all done very well for years. However, last May I purchased a Rosy Glow, which has always been my favorite of loropetalums. I have kept searching for Rosy Glow, and finally I found one in another town and bought it.

The other types of loropetalums have never dropped any leaves in winter here in GA. Some of the leaves were only look dry but not dead. This Rosy Glow did not seem to survive the winter. Most of the leaves dropped and those remained on the branches were dead.

Is this just accidental, or is Rosy Glow harder to maintain than the rest varieties???

I am so fascinated with the colors of Rosy Glow. However, if it is indeed harder to maintain, can you suggest a shrub that's similar to loropetalum Rosy Glow's bloom color and blooming habit, such as twice a year and evergreen in GA....? Thanks

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Let me offer this possibility......Even though we are in a higher zone out here in the PNW, loropetalum seldom overwinters here. The consensus is that our cool summers do not allow for proper ripening of the wood to survive our (usually) quite mild winters. Perhaps the rather recent planting of this shrub combined with some rather severe winter weather produced the same effect? IOW, maybe this wasn't the best season to determine this particular variety's hardiness or endurance?

FWIW, the only 'Rosy Glow' I could turn up was the barberry (correctly 'Rose Glow')..........not a single hit for Loropetalum 'Rosy Glow' :-)

• chueh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, my mistake. I remembered the cultivar name wrong. It's actually called "Ever Red."

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

People have overwintering loropetalums here, one I believe I have mentioned on this site at Kubota Gardens Park in Seattle was several feet across when I last saw it. But I do not expect the species to last in this climate long term.

M. Dirr singles out 'Zoushou Fuchsia' as being the most reliable one (in general, not in reference to the PNW).

• allen456
    10 years ago

I'm also in Georgia. We had an unusually brutally cold winter. I've notice some of my less mature loropetalum aren't looking too good. Patience. See if they put out new growth, and if they do, then take the opportunity to prune out any dead branches.

This post was edited by Allen456 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 12:14

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

This winter likely killed some of my loropetalums here in upper zone 7A (Virginia). I have (or had?) at least 5 varieties. The 'Ever Red' looks dead, but we'll see. 'Purple Diamond' looks dead to the ground too. These may resprout from way low down.

'ZhuZhou Fuschia' looks OK, so it is likely one of the hardiest. Not the prettiest cultivar, but at least it's alive!

This was one rough winter. 'Is' one rough winter I should say. It's not over yet.