Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellberry

Dormant Kerria and an inexperienced gardener

bellberry
11 years ago

Hi everyone.
I'm new to these forums and also to plants.

Recently I decided I wanted to try my hand at raising a flower despite my complete lack of experience. However, I was hoping to get some help from someone here! I did a few searches and couldn't find what I need, so I decided to register and make a post. Apologies if the answer is hidden somewhere and I missed it!

Since I love the color, I chose the Kerria as my first plant. I bought it from eBay and the seller informed me it was the single bloom variety, so I think it's probably the Golden Guinea. However, I've had it for two weeks now and it's still not growing anything!

I live in Houston, TX and the weather here has been mild to warm the past two weeks, and a bit hot the past couple days. The plant was in storage before I got it, and when it arrived it was just roots and a couple stems. A week ago I sent the seller some pictures, and they reassured me by saying it was still in dormancy. However, I didn't get any estimate on how long it might be dormant. Also, I believe the soil I bought was some kind of ... baby plant nuturing type...? It's just from Lowe's. I don't really know since I am completely new to this. Also also I try to water it whenever the soil feels dry, which has been really sporadic.

I heard that the Kerria is also called the Easter Rose, and tends to bloom around the end of March or so. Should I be worried? Additionally, do you have any tips on raising Kerria for a Super Plant Beginner like me? I'd love as much information as possible!!

If you'd like to see the other photos, they're located at this album here: https://picasaweb.google.com/104037830678632675367/KerriaOrYamabuki?authuser=0amp;feat=directlink
I also attached the most recent photo I took, from today (March 19).

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

This post was edited by bellberry on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 16:33

Comments (9)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Looks OK to me as it is still green, although you are right it is normally very early. Kerria is very easy although I have never grown it in a container. It does have a tendency to spread. Just give it adequate water (I hope that pot has a hole?)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

why is it in the house???

if it can live thru MI winters.. i dont understand why it needs any protection in z9 ...

and its dormant.. GET IT OUTSIDE ...

if not.. being a shrub.. it will not be happy for long in a high peat potting medium ....

and finally ... two weeks is not enough time for anything to have happened .. give it a minimum of 2 months.. with ONLY water.. and allowing it to dry in between deep waterings.. insert finger and do not water it again.. until it feel like the media is drying 2 inches down..

finally.. again???? its a full sun plant.. it will not perform in the house .... [well you might want to check that for TX ... my experience is MI ] .. though it tolerates shade up here.. it blooms better in sun ...

as a newbie.. you are on the verge of loving this thing to death..

treat it like a plant.. plant it in mother earth.. water it properly.. and within a few years.. you will be beating it back with a stick .... trust .... me .. you will, because it is one of the wanderers .... but not quite in a bad way ....

hang around.. ask more.. and we will help you with whatever whim your heart desires ..

ken

• bellberry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flora_uk> Thanks for the reply! I've also heard it's very easy and strong to grow. The pot does have a hole as well! I'm doing my best to give it adequate water but I'm not entirely sure what amount is adequate haha.

ken_adrian> Hi, thanks for replying. First off, my plant is outside. Sorry if my photo misled you. It's in a pot on my balcony. I live in an apartment complex so I can't actually plant it in real soil or anything. I heard it grows crazy so if my flower actually survives, I'll figure out what to do with it when it gets big!

Thanks for letting me know that about two months is necessary for it to get out of dormancy. It's a little disappointing, but it's such a pretty flower that it will be worth the wait! Though I don't know what I would put in the plant besides water, lol. I guess I read there's fertilizer and stuff or something?? Anyway, I'll stay away from that andl keep watering it in the way you recommended. How much water would be used for a "deep watering"?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

A. Kerria is NOT a full sun plant - grows perfectly well (and even blooms heavily) in considerable shade. It is well known for that quality. I would be extremely cautious of planting it in Texas sun but a partially shaded balcony should be fine.

B. Kerria does not bloom as early as forsythia so I'm not surprised it is still in its dormant state. You can expect flowering in mid April/early May and it seems to me leaves appear very shortly before any flowers do.

Growing plants in a container is a bit different from growing them in the ground. You need a high quality potting soil (NOT Miracle Gro or compost or garden soil) and you need to pay close attention to watering and also fertilizing. Kerria is a woodland shrub so it prefers evenly moist soil - not too dry, not too wet. Check with your finger down as far into the soil as you can manage - it should be just moist to the touch.

Since plants grown in containers don't have access to the natural nutrients sources located in a garden setting, you have to supply them with fertilizer. You can use a liquid fertilizer (Miracle Gro okay in this case) every month or so during the growing season or you can use a slow release like Osmocote once in spring.

Kerria is a suckering shrub, as flora indicated. You may not see a lot of growth this season but be prepared for new shoots to appear from the soil next spring if you keep your plant happy and healthy. Eventually it will get much too full for that pot and you will have to think about repotting, dividing or giving away.......but not for a few years :-)

• bellberry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gardengal48> Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed reply!! I feel MUCH better now.
    I am sure my potting soil is rather low quality, so maybe I should change it. Do you have any brand recommendations? As for fertilizer, are there any specific instructions about how to use it for Kerria, or will the packaging instructions be sufficient??
    I'm also glad to hear that I won't have to worry about it getting too big for a while. I was a bit concerned about that after reading all the posts on here of huge Kerria. :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Growing things in containers typically slows down growth compared to the same plant in the ground. In some cases, it even dwarfs growth, a bit like bonsai.

Potting soil brands vary from location to location, so not sure anything I suggest would be available where you are. Look to see if anyone around you carries Farfards - it has a pretty wide distribution and is of high quality. Otherwise, any good (and that usually translates to not cheap) and very textural potting soil will work. By textural, I mean not entirely peaty but with some barky components and drainage enhancers like perlite or pumice. Peat or coir should be no more than 1/3 of the mix, if that.

The main issue with fertilizers is don't overdo :-) One dose of Osmocote (couple tablespoons) can get you all the way through the growing season. With a liquid, I generally dilute to half strength and water in once a month or so.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

gardengal48 - would you agree that Kerria is not perhaps the greatest choice for a container in Houston? Could you recommend anything more suitable to the OP in case the Kerria snuffs it? (Which sadly seems quite likely to me).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

You may very well be right, flora (although I didn't want to be the one to say it!). Kerria would not be my first choice as a balcony starter plant just about anywhere but particularly so in Texas.

If the balcony gets as much shade as the photo appears to depict, I might consider a hydrangea. If it is a much sunnier location maybe a Euryops for the yellow flowers the OP seems to like. Or for something quite dramatic, a brugmansia of some sort!! And I can think of countless more seasonal choices that may not be a permanent plant(s) but would provide color all summer long.

Rather than picking something off of ebay - always a risky proposition - I'd be inclined to go visit a good local nursery or garden center. Explain to them the growing conditions and limitations you face and have them make a few suggestions. They should also be able to tell you how to care for it properly.

• bellberry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the thoughtful advice!!
    I know I mentioned on my very first post that I merely wanted to try out raising a plant for the first time, but in actuality what inspired this whole endeavor is the Kerria itself. I'm rather attached to it for various silly reasons, so I'm not sure that if it fails I'll go looking for a different plant to raise. If I do however I'll definitely remember to shop in person at a nursery!
    The other plants you suggested are lovely too, particularly the brugmansia. I really love that one, I've never seen it before! It'll be at the top of my list for sure.

I'm really happy for the great advice you both have given me and will remember this community in the future if I need more plant help!! Thanks again.