Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ideas needed please?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 16:36

I have an area that is 3' wide x 18' long. It gets morning shade and some afternoon sun. I want to plant a narrow evergreen hedge. It doesn't matter if it gets flowers or not. I need this hedge to grow at least 5' tall.

I already have 'pyracantha' planted there but it never flowered. I imagine the area doesn't get quite enough sun. I will be digging it all out next weekend. In the meantime, if anyone has some ideas of what I could possibly plant there, I would be appreciative. Thank you everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub ideas needed please?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 17:13

The firethorn should have bloomed regardless. Were you snipping at it?

You might try 'Graham Blandy' box or 'Sky Pencil' holly, if you want something that vertical. To be 5' tall yet less than 3' wide I will have to be something with a narrow shape, or pruned into one.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 17:19

Or boxwood 'Green Tower'. I have some in full sun and some in full shade, and they seem happy either way.

Here is a link that might be useful: green tower boxwood

o

Hi bboy, I think the problem was 'pyrancatha scab' - many of the leaves turned black and fell off, including whatever berries were there. I did cut out as much of the black stuff that I could though. There are still plenty of green leaves, but I have no idea how to get rid of the scab or maybe blight?

I'll look up 'Glaham Blandy' box and Sky Pencil 'holly'
Thanks so much for your help.

hoovb ~ I like the idea of the green tower boxwood. I looked it up to see if it is sold anywhere around here. So far, I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking though.

Thanks again.

o

Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 23:15

If you had berries appear after it was there for a year you got flowers. But if it is scabby you don't want it anyway. That and the fact that it is a stiff thing with nasty thorns and smelly flowers.

The basic set of quality shrubs used for hedges and hedge-like effects is yew, holly and box. You can identify and plant cultivars that tend to approximate the desired size and shape or you can use other kinds, sheared to fit the space. Either way at some point you will have to prune to control size.

o

Yes, I was going to say that if there were berries then you definitely had flowers. But keeping a Pyracantha hedge to 3ft was never going to be easy and would require frequent clipping and possible loss of flowers, even it it had remained healthy.

o

Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 13:46

Dwarf cultivars are on the market, but the one(s) in garden centers here don't seem to be very disease resistant.

o

I'll be removing the pyracanthas next weekend. I think today, I'm going to head off to a few nurseries to see what they have. Thanks for helping and giving me so many good ideas. What about taxus yew? Thanks again.

o

Maybe consider Osmanthus x Burkwoodii.

It will need shearing, but it blooms in Spring and has fine foliage. No spines.

Should be trouble free in your area, but don't hold me to that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here