Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptbaker_gw

fragrant shrubs

ptbaker
13 years ago

Can someone suggest a type of dwarf fragrant shrub that can be planted next to the porch? We live in South Carolina, in sand land. There are to many weeds to continually pull, so if I plant shrubs, I can mulch them. The area gets afternoon sun. I would love to have some dwarf gardenias, but I do not know anything about what would work. I love smelling fragrant flowers sitting on the porch at nite. Thank you for helping me.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

most shrubs have a very limited time in bloom [like a few weeks in spring] ... so perhaps two on either side.. which have differing bloom times.. will increase your olfactory sensations ...

lilac and daphne come directly to my MI mind.. i dont know if they will work in your zone ... you do not mention size limits ...

some bigger ones would be mock orange [philidelphius] .... olive ... honeysuckle .. shrub or vine ...

i seem to think i have others.. but its still winter up here.. will report back if the muse strikes me .. some viburnum .. tree peony ...

for later summer.. you might look into hosta plantiginea for 6 inch pure white gardenia scented flowers ... and it can take a lot of sun .. go figure on that ...

and for fall ... sweet autumn clematis ....

sooooooo ... if you want some fragrance all summer.. you will have to diversify to spread the season ...

so .. how much space .. how big .. what the sun.. forget about sand.. i have it.. and they all grow fine .... give us some more facts ... some of those listed get pretty big ...

and as i said.. i dont know your zone.. so they might not all be good for your area..

good luck

ken

ps: is see you are brand new to GW!!!!

WELCOME!!!!!!!

• ptbaker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your response. I did forget to mention the size factor. They need to be no taller than 2 ft. The area is 29" wide by 18 ft. long. Its a solid bed, not on either side of back door. I dug down 11/2 ft. to try to get rid of weeds. I read the forum on weeds and I think what is there is bermuda grass. It has gotten out of hand, thats why I took out all the flowers I had there. Looking in the almanac, it looks like we are bordering between zone 7&9.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Dwarf gardenia is great - I have had great luck with it next to my porch. Stays low, lots of summer blooms. As long as you get about 4-5 hours of sun between morning and afternoon.

Bermuda grass is awful - thin, wiry grass that spreads underground.

The coastal area is a very unique environment; I would check with a "better" local nursery (not home depot/lowes) for some recommendations as well.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

With a bed that long you could put in several different shrubs with fragrant flowers and have them flowering over a long season including winter (e.g. Sarcococca and Daphne sp. if your climate allows). And you could also have some fragrant foliage near where you walk to brush against. Plus, if it were my bed, I'd also have some bulbs such as hyacinths or fragrant Narcissus underplanted to extend the scent season. If you could possibly make it any wider then 29 " I think it would look better and give you greater scope to allow shrubs to spread to their natural shape without having to cut them back.

• catherine-garden
    13 years ago

I just found a pamphlet showcasing a dwarf gardenia named 'crown jewel'. 2' in height and spreads 5'..
    This hybrid 'has the 'Klem's Hardy' dwarf size and prolific lowering and the cold hardiness and double bloom of 'Chuck Hayes'. It has a mounding plant habit white, intensely sweet fragran flowers in summer. zones 7-10
    I'm seriously getting this.
    catherine