Smoke Bush - Chicago

Posted by eclecticme (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 17:03

I planted two smoke bushes last year.
One looks like this:

Photobucket

The other one looks like this:

Photobucket

Do you think that the second one is dead or do you think that the leaves appeared too soon on the first one?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smoke Bush - Chicago

Does not look good. Are the branches brittle? You might want to pull back the leaves and see if somethings coming up.

tj

o

Are they both the same variety? I have some that have started to leaf out and others that look like your photo #2 - different varieties. Easiest thing to do it to cut into one of the branches - is it brittle as tj asks or green and supple? That'll tell you the story...
Good luck!

o

Easiest thing to do it to cut into one of the branches - is it brittle as tj asks or green and supple? That'll tell you the story...

==>> NO ... the easiest thing to do.. give it another couple weeks.. and at least wait until the time it usually leafs out .. and see if it does ...

otherwise.. what FF and the rest said ...

were these end of the year bargains???

ken

o

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. I think theses were the same variety. I took the above photos yesterday. Today I notice that there are 2 leaves on the one that looks dead. Both leaves are near the bottom of the plant. When I break a piece of wood near the top it seems dead, but last year was my first time ever planting anything in my life so I really am not qualified to say... These were not end of season bargins.

o

these are generally a 'run it over with the truck' type plant ... nearly impossible to kill ...

they are probably rooted.. so it will come up from the roots, true to name.. and with a vengeance ...

just give it a few more weeks.. and then start pruning out the dead stuff ...

link below to PROPER planting techniques ... in case you want to try again ...

its all part of the learning curve ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here