Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Upright, narrow shrub for screen in zone 7b?

CJ Mac
11 years ago

We had an agreement with our neighbors that we would plant some knock-out roses on their property (where they have never been able to grown anything successfully) and the advantage to us what that we would have a nice rose hedge just overhanging our property but not cutting into our small lawn very much. (I'll attach a photo showing when they were put in 4 years ago--doesn't look this nice anymore, esp. on neighbor's side to the left. Those are 2 separate/additional properties above.)

Neighbors were happy with the arrangement until recently: now they hate them and say they keep their vines (vinca) from growing. It's crazy, but we'll be taking them out. We're debating about putting up a 6-foot fence (about $2100) or saving money with a row of shrubs to make a screen.

Because I have since put in a raised bed garden not too far from this area, the shrubs would have to be somewhat narrow (3-4' tops preferably). As for height, 5-8 feet would be as much as we'd like. A local landscaper has suggested Brodie Juniper, but what I've read makes it sound like they're very prone to disease.

We currently have a row of podocarpus "maki" on the side of our house and I'm wondering if I should just do those--but they have become hard to find.

Any other ideas?

This post was edited by Bhamster on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 17:25

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus