Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philipw22

Eleutherococcus sieboldianus 'Variegatus'

philipw2
18 years ago

or Verigated Fived leaved Aralia.

Has anyone had experiance actually growing it? I searched through the shrub archives and found no one saying "my experience..." Especially someone who has had it for several years.

I was thinking of it for a screen that gets morning sun. Damp in spring, dry but humid in the summer (IE the mid-Atlantic). Raised bed amended with a lot of organic material.

How bad are the thorns? Put the neighbor's kid's eye out bad or merely keep them out of the bed bad (like the points on the edge of a holly leaf)? Or like a rose (somewhere in the middle)?

How fast does it get to 5 feet or so?

Will several in a row form a nice light screen that gives privacy without a leaden feeling of a hedge?

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments (11)

• Josh
    18 years ago

I grew this lovely plant for 8-10 years in a former GA zone 8 garden and have one now, purchased last year, in a container at my new home. Never understood why it isn't more widely grown. No pest or diseases and will grow in total or half-shade. The thorns are small but sharp...less hurtful than Berberis or Roses. I used the foliage often in arrangements and didn't mind the thorns but wouldn't want to trespass through a whole plant.

Doesn't need rich soil and never any pests or diseases. Moderate watering with good drainage seems fine. I've read that the variegated form is slower growing but it seemed to reach 5-6 feet in about 3-4 years as well as I remember, from a mailorder "quart pot".

I really like the way the branches present the frilly bright leaves. I'd compare it to a Japanese Maple in its graceful form. As I said, I really like this shrub. You might try Google Images using its old name, Acanthopanax sieboldiana 'variegatus'for photos. I'd think it would make a perfect light screen, as even in winter it's very 'twiggy' plus it grows almost 4 feet wide (or I should say mine did..might have been result of my cutting often to fill my vases though. josh

• leslies
    18 years ago

I had this in my zone 5 garden in New York and have just ordered two more for my new place in northern VA. It's a great shrub with bright, soft foliage. I found the thorns to be considerably less noticeable than rose thorns, partly because the shrub requires absolutely no care, so you don't have to be messing with it all the time, but also because there are simply fewer of them and they aren't as mercilessly hooked. No diseases, no bugs - not even japanese beetles. I had mine on the north side of the house in somewhat amended, normally moist soil where it hit five feet in about 3 years. Totally cold hardy where winter temps can hit -12 every night for ten days in a row. I'm not sure whether the deer ever found it (they certainly found everything else), so I can't say whether it's deer resistant.

I am planning to put the new ones under a maple - Stan at Variegated Foliage in CT says this plant can thrive in dry shade so I guess I'll find out.

• ego45
    18 years ago

Really good plant, takes poor soils, dry conditions, neglect, stays variegated even in a very deep shade.
    No insects or deseases to report, except the fact that it is of interest for the deers and woodchucks despite the thorns.
    It's somewhat slow at the very beginning, but by year 4 you should have a decent size shrub, if you don't have to start from scratches thanks to the deers.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

I've been wanting this plant for several years and this spring it's going in in dry,partial shade. I can hardly wait!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Yes, this is a tough shrub for difficult spots. Both of mine are growing in less than ideal soil in considerable shade with no problems at all. They have been in the ground about 5 or 6 years and are probably close to 5 feet tall. I'd like to move one of them in the spring. Has anyone had experience cutting them way back? I'm thinking it would make it easier to move but I've never pruned them before and don't want to ruin the natural shape.

Sue

• ego45
    18 years ago

Sue, deers 'pruned' mine 2 years ago. Not to the stabs, but from 3 feet to 1 feet definitely. I can't say that such pruning 'promoted' new and/or more vigorous growth, but nevertheless in a next two years it become a 3-footer again.
    My guess, and this is a guess only, pruning to 3 feet may ruin the natural arching shape, but if you go down to 2' or so, it will recover its natural shape nicely, though it will take longer.

• philipw2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input, everyone. I bought 5 of them from Forest Farm for delivery in APril. $12 each. So not bad at all. Forest Farm has been a good source of plants in the past.

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Purchased one of these from White Flower Farm about five years ago (I notice they no longer offer it); after two years of almost no growth, I called their horticulturalist.
    Finally, they told me it was "a very slow starter" - it
    certainly would have been helpful if some mention of that
    had been made in the catalog! Then, it had to be moved,
    which I'm sure slowed it down some more - but it certainly
    IS tough, and the foliage is terrific in my partial-shade
    siting, topping out at about 4-foot this past season. No pests, no problems, the soil is only so-so, no extra water
    needed - now if it would just hurry up and turn into the
    glorious 8-foot+ shrub that WFF promised. . .

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

Great to find this thread as I am thinking of using just this plant in a very shady location next spring. It is good to see these mostly positive reports about this shrub.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

rouge 21, in response to your email, yes I've had it for about 8 years. It's very slow growing but very handsome and handles dry shade very well.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I would like to find as big a specimen as possible due to its very slow growth.