Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?! Taken in Virginia- they are everywhere

Posted by erinf83 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 17:17

I'm on vacation at massanutten near harrisonburg, VA, and am seeing this shrub everywhere. Can anyone tell me what it is?

My best guess is heavenly bamboo but am hoping there is a local and/or a shrub expert that can confirm!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?! Taken in Virginia- they are everywhere

Here's a close up of the leaves. Mostly red and green with a few orange and yellow as well

o

Yes, it's heavenly bamboo, Nandina domestica. There's a lot of different cultivars but not so many dwarf ones. This one looks a bit like 'Gulf Stream' or possibly 'Moon Bay'.

o

Thanks! I had thought firepower. The ones I'm seeing seem to be about 2 feet.

o

Another dwarf is 'Monfar' marketed as Sienna Sunrise.

o

And another is 'Harbor Dwarf' and mine looks very much like the photo.

o

Two feet is on the taller end for 'Harbor Dwarf' (16-18" is typical) and on the shorter end for Sienna Sunrise (3-4'). 'Firepower' tends to have much broader individual leaves than do most other cultivars and not much of the lacy appearance that characterizes other nandinas. And very uniform winter coloring. In fact, it looks like a dumpy little red leaved shrub in winter and not much like a nandina at all :-)

But there are various other dwarf forms as well. A dwarf cultivar may be more appropriate to the east coast and southern states where nandina is considered an invasive species as these tend not to set fruit nearly as frequently as do taller growing cultivars.

o
FirePower

i would say FirePower is most likely. New growth in Spring and summer is chartreuse green. Plants lose all the red in summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here