Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Attack!

Posted by MFIX BUF, NY z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 17:17

Hey all,

I had a viburnum and rose bush mown down by deer this winter (or could be bunnies too). My question is how do I prune the plants to get them looking right again? My viburnum is extremely exaggerated on one side, and I know that pruning these can be tricky or downright unadvisable, so what do I do? As far as the rose bush goes, I just want to even it out with its partner on the other side of the viburum, just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on the roses too, or any cautions. I know everyone has their own personal deer and rabbit repellent ideas, but any thoughts on those would be helpful too. I have used Plantskyyd as well as liquid fence. I didnt liquid fence in the winter because it was downright miserable out there this year. I will need to put up a "real" fence next winter, huh. Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Attack!

I know that pruning these can be tricky or downright unadvisable, so what do I do?

==>>> prune them back into shape ... whomever said it was unadvisable.. has no understanding of shrubs.. on any level ...

the only issue with the rose is whether it was grafted ... what type it is ...

google: rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs... and read thru a few links ... and come on back with some more specific questions ...

some pix.. will get you answers worth reading ... specific to your plants ...

i suggest you try the GW search up just below the top banner on the right ... for the deer issue ... i believe you might find a couple thousand posts about our beloved deer ...

finally ... if you do go to the extent of a fence for deer.. insure you build the right kind.. 6 to 8 feet at a min ...

ken

o
RE: Deer Attack!

Ken,

Thanks, not sure if grafted or not, but the roses are the "knockout" variety sold at lowes and home depot, and the viburnum is a doublefile. Pics coming soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here