Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Viburnum x pragense as a standard?

Has anyone every tried training a Viburnum x pragense into a standard form with just one trunk -- say about 4-5 feet high before it branches out?

My sense is that this viburnum is just too multi-stemmed by nature and too twiggy for this to work successfully, but I'm interested in hearing if anyone has tried this.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I waited a few days to answer this because I wondered what others would say and didn't want to influence the comments. Since no one else has said anything, I guess I will go ahead.

When I think of a Prague viburnum standard, the first thing that comes to mind is WHY??? The form of this plant just doesn't seem to lend itself to a standard, in my thinking. Where did you come up with the idea?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need a standard-shaped small tree to fill a certain spot in my yard where a standard wax myrtle (or what's left of it) will be removed.

I'd like something ultimately around 8 to 10 feet high, evergreen, with medium to fine leaves. The plant will be maintained with a mushroom or rounded canopy. This is in a full sun position. No spines and easy to work with.

I need something that is easy to shear and won't have it's foliage bronzed or frozen in a cold winter -- like this last one.

There aren't too many evergreens that would fit these specs for 7A. Hollies are about all I can think of. Don't like Euonymus -- to vigorous.

I have a Yaupon 'Hoskin's Shadow' that I can move to this spot, but I also like variety.

I have never grown a Praguense and all I have seen around after this winter look really good! No leaf damage at all. That is mainly why I thought of it. Also, they take shearing quite well. But as I said, it may just be too twiggy and not develope a strong enough central trunk.

That is why.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:17

• hortster
    9 years ago

Dave, after your post I took a long look at my Pragues (7). They are in a row along a fence that varies from full sun to full shade under an oak. Naturally, in shade they are leggier and more upright, but in full sun they branch much more along the upright stems. I guess what I observed is that if you want one on a standard (or possibly multi-standards?) you will be having a lot of constant trimming to do where the stems are hit by the sun as that seems to spur the branching.

Having said that, however, I think the idea could work if you are willing to do the pruning. I selected Prague v. for their evergreen effect to screen an ugly fence and they did so quite quickly. This winter we have had some extremely high winds and they have defoliated a bit but will thicken up rapidly when new growth begins. The contrasting silver underside of the leaves is interesting in a breeze. Could be a rather unique "tree."

hortster

Original Author
    9 years ago

hortster,

I thought they might be interesting too.

One other important thing is this soil can remain quite moist for a while. That's probably why the wax myrtle did so well (before it was decimated by an ice storm).

My other options are:

Carolina Cherrylaurel (but I'd likely see some leaf damage most winters)
    Yaupon holly (probably best option)
    Photinia (but a bit course and too vigorous and tall)
    Euonymus japonicum (too vigorous and might not be trainable to one trunk)
    Prunus lusitanica (tends to pyramidal, but might be a good option)
    Cassine- or integra- hybrid holly. Hard to find around here.
    Osmanthus species - armatus or americana. Can they take wet soil?

• hortster
    9 years ago

My row of 7 used to be a row of 10. Three drowned during a very wet year as they were planted in a location of high runoff, so that may nix Prague.

How about northern bayberry, Myrica pensylvanica?

hortster

• hortster
    9 years ago

LOL. Not being familiar with wax myrtle I didn't realize it was a cousin of northern bayberry. Live and learn.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wax myrtle is an evergreen version of bayberry. Its foliage has (had) a real nice spicy smell and the fruit was gray and waxy. Myrica cerifera. I will miss it.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area