Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Holly Society of America

runktrun
12 years ago

I was recently doing a search on Ilex 'Rock Garden' and went to the Holly Society of America site on line only to find it shut down. Have they disbanded or changed their name? kt

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure they have not disbanded or changed names. I'm not sure what's going on with their website though.

This organization has been poorly ran, IMO, for the last few years, so I wouldn't be very surprised to find that the site is down because of funding problems, administration issues, or lack-of-planning reasons. I was a member for years, but finally got tired of flushing my money down the HSA toilet.

• viburnumvalley
    12 years ago

Hi, runk.

Despite reports to the contrary, the HSA is still alive, healthy, and kicking. Remember their not-so-distant-past visit to Martha's Vineyard? I do, and I remember the excellent condition that the Polly Hill Arboretum was in when we took a fabulous tour through it (I suspect you may have had a "hand" in that). I only am sad that I never met the namesake, Ms. Hill. She must have been quite the force.

I can report that the website has been fixed - visit away. If you don't find what you need there, give me a shout and I can steer you "off air" to whatever resource you might need.

HSA is and always has been a very helpful organization. Led and managed by volunteers, it and its members have been responsible for registration of the finest introductions in the genus Ilex and for the unlimited distribution of Holly knowledge.

The legacy of such fine individuals (that I have had the immeasurable fortune to have met and learned from as a member of this organization) such as Theodore Klein, Bob Simpson, Joe Hickman, Earl Cully, Bon Hartline, Hal Elmore, Barbara Taylor, Fred Galle, the Hahns, the Kassabs, Elwin Orton, Ferris Miller, Bill Kuhl, Dan Turner, Charlie Anderson - I could go on and on and on - are the foundation upon which today's gardeners stand and practice.

A vigorous new generation will succeed the original pioneers of the organization, and will be more conversant and facile with today's technology. May you know and grow more Holly!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Yeah, VV, maybe I should be less negative about the organization. I know quite a few of its members and know that they, and the organization, have done some good things in the past. I'm just still a little annoyed by the problems they've experienced over the last few years (reduction of publications, late publications, poor planning, etc). And, I see the huge difference between how the HSA is ran compared to other organization like the Conifer Society. It's a shame, IMO, that the potential for the organization is not even being approached. The Journals (only two per year now) do have some well-written and useful information, and maybe (hopefully) the organization is back on the upswing.

BTW, have you visited Hal's holly collection here at the UT Arboretum? What did you think?