Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf drop on Indian Hawthorn

Posted by william7b 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 18:07

I've got a number of Indian Hawthorn that were planted before I bought my house. They are all in full sun and have been there ten years. For the last two or three years, they have dropped all or most of their leaves, with what looks to be a form of blackspot. Don't know if that's the cause or if this is typical. In zone 7b in Atlanta, so they get really good sun, which Hawthorns need. I haven't sprayed at all for blackspot, but I suppose I could extend my Banner Maxx after i spray my roses. Any help?
Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf drop on Indian Hawthorn

Your question rang a bell in my head. I found the following info in an article in the May, 2005 issue of Mississippi Gardener magazine by Stephen Vann.

Your problem sounds like Entomosporium (Leaf Spot of Indian Hawthorn). "The first obvious symptoms usually appear on new growth and on lower branches of a plant. Spots appear first as minute purple dots on the surface of the leaves. The fungus gradually spreads upward within the plant. Under cool humid conditions, spots may rapidly increase in size and number. The spots can "grow" together to form larger areas of dead tissue. Older spots develop a gray center with a raised margin of the individual spots. The centers of the spots contain the spore-producing bodies of the fungus. These structures appear like small black specks about the size of black pepper grains.

Here's what you do:
Collect the fallen leaves and destroy them in late fall or winter. If feasible, remove all spotted leaves already on the plant. Avoid overhead irrigation to minimize leaf wetness. Splashing can spread the spores to other plants nearby. Irrigate with soaker hoses or drip tubes. Avoid summer fertilization that may promote abundant lush growth in the fall. Make sure the plants have adequate spacing to encourage air movement. (At least four feet from center to center.) Several fungicides are available. They must be sprayed regularly and from early season on. Both sides of the leaves must be covered. Look for the following ingredients:
myclobutanil, propiconazole, or triforine.

This disease is also found on flowering quince, pyracantha, some pears, and red tip photinia.

If it comes to it, there are resistant varieties available: "indian princess", "Gulf Green", and "olivia".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here