Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_al

winter bronzing

jeff_al
12 years ago

i am replacing an azalea hedge at the foundation on the front side of my house, with front oriented due north.

i want a clipped, formal style hedge and am considering 'wintergreen' boxwood. the ones i looked at from the local nursery showed some bronzing. i do not want any orange on this side, flanked by a red-flowered camellia(blooming now) and bright pink-flowered specimen azalea near the front porch. i have read that winter sun, along with wind, encourages the bronzing. since this area will be in shade from october through march, do you think the shrubs might not exhibit this tendency?

i am in zone 8 and our winters are fairly mild.

also looked at dwarf yaupon holly. do they need sun during winter months?

open to other suggestions for low, evergreen shrubs.

jeff

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

w/o a picture.. its hard to tell you much ... as to why those are colored the way they are ...

but until you actually plant one.. i doubt anyone can answer how they will do in your specific garden ....

and you probably can not tell where the stock came from.. so to presume the same coloration will occur in your yard.. is pure speculation ... unless your source is local.. rather than trucked in from God knows where ...

i say plant a couple.. and see how they do.. and then decide.. next spring.. if you want to proceed with the plan ...

i understand a lot of peeps want instant gratification .... but sometimes.. you have to experiment ...

i hope you are planting your foundation plants.. at least 3 feet from the foundation ... you may have other problems.. if you go much closer ... if for no other reason.. so you can stand behind them to shear them .... wash window.. xmas lights.. paint the house.. wash the siding.. etc ...

ken

• jeff_al
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my question was really about the effect of sun on shrubs that tend to winter bronze. if no sun, do they still lose their green color?
    the ones at the nursery were on the black mats in full sun all winter. because of seasonal changes in the angle of the sun, my planting area is totally shaded from about october through march, then full sun during the other warm months.
    simply wondering about that part of it.
    i think i will plant the 'wintergreen' anyway. most of what i am reading says a shaded spot might reduce the chances of this.
    and yes, they are appropriately distanced from the house.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

It's not just sun in winter than can cause the bronzing but also exposure to cold temps and winter winds. That being said, Buxus 'Wintergreen' is considered to hold its color quite well thru winter compared to other varieties. Another good choice would be 'Green Velvet'. Actually, pretty much any of the koreana hybrids retain good winter color, certainly compared to the English boxwoods.

One thing to consider is the origin and exposure of those at your nursery. That could certainly affect appearance compared to a more protected and shadier spot in your garden.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear jeff_al 8 AL,
    Have you thought about using _Aucuba japonica_ 'Rozannie,' a fairly recent introduction into the horticultural trade? It is a compact, solid-greenleaf, self-fertile aucuba, with a pleasing texture and great quantities of red fruit in the wintertime. I think its dimensions are around three by four feet, tall and wide.

• botann
    12 years ago

I like Japanese Holly way better than Boxwood in Zone 8 where it will be clipped. It just looks better throughout the year. No winter bronzing!
    The variety I prefer is Illex crenata, 'Convexa'. You can get better detail with the small leaves and it looks more formal than Aucuba if clipped straight.
    Mike
    {{gwi:245962}}

• jeff_al
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gators in seattle? he looks well-tended, mike.
    that is a very creative planting. i would love to walk through your garden and see the diverse selection of plants you grow.
    i have seen only the 'hoogendorn' cultivar of japanese holly at the nurseries in my area and was hoping to get what i plant locally. i did read some articles about 'convexa' and it was mentioned that full sun would cause the foliage to yellow. true? i have no experience with any of the boxwoods. it will be sunny and hot in front of the foundation all summer.
    jay, i think i want a smaller-leaved shrub than the aucuba for this hedge.
    i really don't want anything taller than 3' and 2' would actually be better.
    thanks to all for the input.