Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

Need help with Ilex Aquilfolium 'Dr. Kassab'

summerstar
13 years ago

This holly grows 15' to 20' tall and is a broad pyramid type; I think a hybrid off the American Holly. It's planted on the end corner of a deep foundation bed. Our landscaper put in two Doublefile Virburnum behind it next to the foundation of the house.

The virburnum grew surprisingly fast and so dense they've crowded the holly and it's lost virtually all it's foliage on the side facing the virburnums. Two years ago I bit the bullet and pruned up the virburnums into small trees. (They don't really look too bad at all,amazingly!) I really hated to do it as the they were beautiful, but I wanted to open up the rear of the holly to air and sunlight and encourage regrowth. Well two seasons haven't brought any growth even though I've used Holly Tone to fertilize it and pruned it each spring.

This holly was beautiful before the doublefiles took over, but now looks awful. I was wondering what would happen if I cut it down by half its 15 foot height . I figure I don't figure have much to lose. What would happen to its growth? Would this FORCE new growth all around this plant?

I've got to do something. Any suggestions?

Comments (2)