Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rehabbingisgreen

Pink velour Crape Myrtle

rehabbingisgreen
11 years ago

I have a pink velour crape myrtle growing in my zone outdoors. Luckily for mild winters she's lived. Well she had to be dug up and will be moved because I had to add a couple fruit trees. Anyway I know it's pushing it because shes a 6 or 7 for zone hardy. I'm wondering what would be the very best location to place her in so she will survive if we have a cold winter?? Or any other suggestions to keep her through any tough winters here in nw Missouri.

Comments (6)

• User
    11 years ago

Your garage.

• Tim
    11 years ago

Try the south side of your house, no more than five feet from the foundation. That way it will have protection from the north wind. make sure you mulch it really well, (at least 3" of mulch). That is probably about the only hope you have. If your Pink Valour doesn't survive, you may also try 'Hopi,' 'Velma's Royal Delight' or 'Sarah's Favorite' on the south side of a structure. These three cultivars are also supposed to be more cold hardy than the species. And when I say "hardy" I mean root hardy. This means that the Carpe Myrtle may die back to the ground but will resprout from the roots in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crape Myrtle Cold Hardiness Chart

• hatrickk289
    11 years ago

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't grow a Crape Myrtle in zone 6... they're dead wrong. Zone 5 isn't that far off, so be optimistic. I've attached a link, and its a thread of us New Englanders discussing our success with Crape Myrtles. For best protection, plant exactly as plantingman says. Once you take a look at this thread, you'll see, with the right placement, most Crape Myrtles do well in zone 6, especially with some protection. If you hear of prolonged subzero temps coming, wrap the tree with C9 incandescent lights (Common Christmas lights) The warmth is very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Crape Myrtles w/pics

• Tim
    11 years ago

I've seen Crape Myrtles growing in central Iowa (zone 5) too without much protection from the North wind. Keep in mind that those grown in zone 5 usually die to the ground each winter but resprout from the roots in the Spring (May?) and they are the hardier cultivars, such as Pink Valour, Hopi, Velma's Royal Delight, and Sarah's Favorite.
    I have recently been in contact with one of the horticulturists at Kansas State University. She has been very helpful and will soon release a free publication about hardy shrubs for Kansas.
    You may want to contact the University of Missuori's Extension office. They probably have some publications that can help you figure out the best way to insure your Pink Valour Crape Myrtle survives the winter and then thrives through the summer. Their web address is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selecting Landscape Plants: Deciduous Shrubs

• rehabbingisgreen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all the information. I'm searching a good spot to plant her back into and will check out all the links and info first. Love you guys and all the help! Thank you!!

• Tim
    11 years ago

And I would definitely plant your Crape Myrtle on the south side of a structure like I originally suggested. Without that protection from the North wind, it may come back for a couple of years, but it's that one winter that is especially hard that will kill it off.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus