Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my yew?

Posted by idloveamocha Z5 (IL) (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 19:14

This is a taunton yew that I planted last spring. Actually, I planted 7 of them. All look nice, except for this one. The browning that you see began late last summer. The browning seems to have spread a bit since then.

All were watered adequately last summer, and all had a bit of growth (including this one).

This is on the northeast side of the house, and there are 5 others on this side.

I can provide any other info you may need as well.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my yew?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 20:23

Yews are prone to root rot, downspout extension looks like there is not a good connection.

This post was edited by bboy on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 20:24

o

bboy, I thought of that, too, but (you can't see it in this pic) it is actually sealed inside the downspout connection that you see. It doesn't leak.

o

Any chance of dog pee? Those parts look burned.

o

Could have been damaged in transport and it finally died off. Looks like a spot used as a handle and thrown on or off the truck. Are there any brakes or cracks on the branches? Another possibility is the drain in the gutter clogged and water overflowed from above. Finally, those yews want to be 4 X 5 feet and are too close to the house.

tj

o

I would cut off the affected portions in case an insect or disease process is going on.

My evergreens get dead spots like that sometimes, and I find they do better when I cut off the dead parts asap.

It could just be the result of the cold, but it's almost certain those spots will not revive, so the plant would look better with them pruned off in any case.

o

you wait until spring has spring.. to see what buds out...

and you cut out stuff that does not bud out.. as it is dead ... cutting back to a live branch..

it WILL fill back in .. though it might take a year or two ...

it is not a bug issue ...

and you should move it to at least 3 feet out from that corner ... you should always leave a 2 to 3 foot empty spot along your foundation.. so you can clean gutters .. clean windows.. get a ladder in there.. clean windows ... and in this case.. fix the downspout in the future ...

never forget... foundation plantings are planted to hide the foundation .. not ON the foundation...

you have provided no space.. for future growth.. by placing them what looks to be.. 6 inches from the brick ...

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here