Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adie_v

leggy lilac & bug assistance (w/photos)

Adie_V
12 years ago

Hello!

We bought a house back in 2007 and inherited two lilacs. I like them very much! However, the one in back seems to be struggling and I'm just not sure what to do for it.

For starters, it had a huge vine choking it off and we didn't even realize it for the first two years :P "My, the lilac looks so green and bushy!" Nope! When we realized what was up and went to chop off the vine it seemed like we removed half the biomass! Scraggly lilac after that. (I think the vine was some kind of honeysuckle but it's been a few years - not the awesome smelling kind of honeysuckle either, alas)

Since then the lilac just looks kinda scraggly and leggy. I've read up on how to prune and that only 3 year old branches bloom, so my understanding is to chop off 1/3 branches per year until you get a nice bushy lilac again.

The problem is, I really don't see many suckers to nurture? We've pruned it back some last year to make it not block the (new) shed so much but I'm worried that I don't see much growing to replace things! Is there any way I can encourage suckers? Or is there something in the environment the lilac is not happy with?

The lilac in front is doing nicely and sends up tons of suckers each year. The neighbors' lilac, about 4 feet from mine, looks wonderful and busy too XD

Some photos:

Here are the lilacs in bloom from last year. The darker purple one is mine, the lighter is my neighbors'.

{{gwi:246444}}
{{gwi:246445}}

Here is the current status:

{{gwi:246446}}

The base of the lilac: I can only see two decent suckers! (upper right)

{{gwi:246447}}

Just recently I noticed this:

{{gwi:246448}}
Eww! Are these guys a problem or just opportunists partying on some dead wood? If they are a problem, what should I do about them?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus