Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tea Olives (bare Looking)

Posted by pdtiger2007 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 20:15

I'm helping a neighbor whose got some Tea Olives planted all around her house. Problem where having is all the growth seems to be towards the top of the tree, leaving the bottom so barren you can see through the plant. Where wanting to get a much more full shrub. So if we have to lose a couple of seasons of growth, and might even have to deal with it looking horrible for a few months, that's ok. As long as we get the desired full shrub.

I'm thinking where gonna need to to cut it back to the older established branches, about half way to a third down from the top. We cut them back last year, but the bottom never filled back in. There is some growth in the bottom but it's so shaded it's barely growing and not filling in. Here is a picture included, and I appreciate any help, suggestions, or knowledge given in advance! Thanks a million!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea Olives (bare Looking)

google: rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs ....

review some links..

and shoot us some specific questions ...

many of these type shrubs.. can nearly be cut to the ground.. and with no insult to the root mass... will be half as tall by fall ...

but i have NO experience with this plant ...

BTW... convert the common name to the latin for specificity sake.. and add that to the google search above.. and maybe even add YOUTUBE .... and you will get much further... common names.. lead to common answers.. we prefer more specificity ...

its not a big deal ... go for it ..

good luck

ken

ps: most flowering shrubs are pruned.. after flowering .. but if you dont care about such.. it can be done most anytime ...

pps: a good pruning saw will make a boatload of difference.. get something like at the link ... and even better if you have a reciprocating saw ... but buy a tree blade for it [8 bucks or so] ...

Here is a link that might be useful: i got one at tractor supply for under 15 bucks ... but couldnt find one on their website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here