Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Question on light requirements, and what to consider

ilovemytrees
11 years ago

Hello.

I have spot in my front (North facing) yard where I want to plant a shrub. In early spring, this spot is just a few feet away from full sun, if that makes sense. I don't know if there's a term called bright shade, but that is what I would call it. Anyway, in the summer it is FULL sun.

Because of this, I don't know what sun requirements I need. If it matters, I'm thinking of getting Witch Hazel.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

Anyway, in the summer it is FULL sun.

==>> deciduous shrubs.. dont care if they are in shade in winter ...

and yes.. i talk about bright shade all the time.. comparing it to a cave ...

most shrubs you cant kill ...

sun requirement.. MIGHT ... affect flowering quality ... but i would NOT expect that to be an issue in bright shade ...

the sky is the limit IMHO...

ken

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ken.

This spot is in full sun in the morning, as the sun rises. I just noticed that a few minutes ago. It's funny, I've never noticed these little things before, until now.

Also, I just learned online this morning that partial shade is all about time. I didn't know "time" had anything to do with it. It says online that partial sun is 3-6 hours of direct sunlight. Well, it's in direct sunlight now, so I'll keep an eye out and see how long it lasts.

We planted a Forsythia yesterday about 15 feet away in a full sun 24/7 spot, and that is when we noticed that this little spot where we planned to put another shrub is in bright shade, but we were out there at 2:30pm. It's nice to know it will receive what I'm guessing is about 5 hours of direct sunlight, that is if the sun rises around 7am.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 9:18

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just ordered Witch Hazel: Wisely Supreme, from Rarefind Nursery for the spot.

• akamainegrower
    11 years ago

The best resource for anyone interested in the various types of shade - and there are surprisingly many - is Geeorge Schenk's classic book, The Complete Shade Gardener.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

I think a very fragrant H. vernalis would work. The ones here bloom in Feb and can be smelled from 50 ft. away. I don't know how much room you have, they get very wide but not very tall, probably 12 ft wide and 1/2 as tall, but, oooh that smell!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the best hosta gardens are in bright shade ... and include a myriad of plants ... i really dont think this is a big deal ...

and dont forget.. now thru june.. the sun keeps getting higher in the sky ...

FULL sun is consider 8 hours or more of sun.. and 6 is probably CLOSE ENOUGH .. for most stuff ... especially for most shrubs ...

do not confuse yourself into thinking it has to be consecutive ... 4 in the morning.. and 4 at night .. leaving out the weak hours at dusk and dawn ...

you seem hesitant.. based on hard and fast rules.. you should know by now.. that in the garden.. there are no hard rules.. lol ... its not black and white.. its all SHADED in grey .... see what i did there.. lol ...

any sun.. just do it ... you can always move things later... which i recall.. you have done.. and didnt like it very much.. lol .... but thats what we do ...

ken