Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eunonymus Gold Spot - what's eating it?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 20:35

Some of my Eunonymus Gold Spot are being eaten by something, others not eaten in same general area, I'm not experienced in these shrubs, am curious what may be eating them and how to stop it. I do have deer and rabbits sometimes, not sure if these are prone to being eaten by them.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eunonymus Gold Spot - what's eating it?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 12:07

Deer will eat them here, I don't have but an occasional rabbit and rarely damage from one. I have good results with Bobbex deer repellent, but about the same time I decide something is unappealing to deer and don't treat, the deer decide to sample.

The jagged small notches in some of the leaves suggest you have some weevil damage too.

o

Thanks. The rabbits are really destructive to my Rudbeckia and Beautyberry for sure, I catch them eating them to the ground, very frustrating. I'm on an acre and with all of the rain expensive and time consuming to keep applying something to keep them away.

Some of the eaten plants are right at the street and I've never seen a deer there which made me wonder about rabbits. But maybe is a combination of deer and rabbits eating them?

I plan on treating for the weevils but I don't think that's what has stripped most of the leaves where they are completely gone.

o

i cant understand your pic ...

on the one hand.. it looks like a 6 inch.. quart sized plant ... a tiny little thing with one leaf bug bit ...

but your words make me think it used to be 3 foot by 3 foot.. and all that is left is what i think above..

how about a pic of the whole ... with a scale.. so we can understand the problem ...

NEVER treat anything.. in anticipation of a problem ... either find a weevil to kill.. but never treat for a problem you had last year ... plagues come and go year to year ... so you may not see a weevil this year at all.. and if you dont.. then proactive cure... is nothing more than pollution.. organic or chemical ...

never plan the use of a bug killer.. unless you actually see the bug.. in numbers sufficient to require the need for killer ... its called: integrated pest management ....

ken

o

The plant is about 18" tall, what is missing are the leaves, not actual branches eaten off.

How in the world can I monitor all of my plants for weevils to see weevils feeding which I'm guessing is only particular times of year only certain time of night, etc.? Maybe if I had a TINY lot but I'm on an acre, not realistic at all.

o

Some of the damage is typical of vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus). Are active late in the evening and at night. Larvae of the vine weevil eat at the roots of the plants and can do a lot of damage.

o

Can't say for sure, but deer absolutely LOVE euonymus. I CAN say that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here