Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry? Vaccinium

Posted by maximusdecimus south MS (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 20:35

Have a bunch of these growing wild all over the front acre mixed about with the Pines, Yaupon Hollies, some other very similar shrubs which I believe to be Huckleberries.

I believe them to be some form of blueberry, although they are, obviously, not pruned/fertilized/or mulched (aside from leaf litter) and I cannot recall fruiting of any consequence. I must say though, I haven't really monitored them all that well.

I took a few photos and placed them in an album here:
http://s280.beta.photobucket.com/user/maximusdecimusphoenix/library/Blueberry

thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry? Vaccinium

Yup, blueberry. They tend to fruit less in shade, and the birds may be getting any berries that form just before they ripen.

o

any suggestion as to breed? i've compared photos to quite a few others online and it seems there's always 1 thing that doesn't match.

o

also, I'd like to move some of them to a better location, we're kinda moving into spring now (though i'd call it summer here in MS) since some are budding/flowering already, I'd rather not move them now, round about which month would be best for them to be moved? Right after fruit drops? Or wait til fall/"Winter" Reason I ask is these don't drop their leaves and we've had retard long growing seasons the last few years. Lasting into november sometimes.

o

there is a very active fruit forum.. where you might find more peeps with knowledge ...

with berries.. you usually need a pic of the berry to get close on ID ...

but my inclination.. is that wild sown berries are usually not prime plants .. and you are much further ahead.. buying specific named varieties ... usually via mail order ....

the odds of you finding prime plants.. bird sown.. is low to nil.. in my experience ...

but then.. you wont know how good they are.. until you move them.. and find out in a few years .... the only problem being.. if you buy some good ones.. in a few years.. they will also bloom.. so i suggest.. if you are a blueberry fiend.. to do both ...

ken

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 20:09

Your blueberry shrubs would benefit from pruning out most of the older brown stems in the center of the shrub, leaving the younger, greener stems to flourish. This pruning can be done in the spring. While is it possible to dig up and move an established shrub or tree, it's a whole lot easier to go out and buy a new, potted shrub, with an ID tag, so you know the variety, and plant it in the new location. Blueberries like full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here