Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions of shrubs to plant

Posted by NanaDeb50 8A (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:07

I am searching for a upright, sun-loving, evergreen shrub to
plant in a very large tub next to my front door. I am in zone
8a and it will get full southern sun all day. Is there such a shrub? Please help me if you can.
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions of shrubs to plant

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 12:19

What part of Zone 8? Some parts are hot and wet, others hot and dry. In my part it is not hot at all.

o

how big is the pot..

consider pot in pot ...

pots that get too hot.. cook roots .... and you lose ...

also.. you will need a good media.. not dirt ...

a pic of the spot would sure help me

ken

o

I am in Mississippi and the spot where the pot will be is facing the south. So it will be full,hot sun all day. That's
why I am being so careful about plant selection. The tubs are antique washing machine tubs, they are white and are
very large. I have considered several shrubs, perennials, and grasses. But since the site is next to my front door, I would really love to have something evergreen, if that is
possible.

o

If the tubs are antique it would make sense to use them as outers and put something else inside, like Ken suggests. You are in danger of rusting out the tubs otherwise. Plus metal tubs will get very hot.

o

I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment, but it
would have been nice if you could have actually answered
my question instead of concentrating on my containers.

o

How about oleander? Although it may be borderline hardy in a tub. But it sure can take the heat! Of course there's always Ligustrum japonicum, Euonymus japonica (Golden), Ternstroemia japonica (Cleyera), Pittosporum (might not be very upright though), possibly Podocarpus.

o

Rosemary?

o

Thank you for the good suggestions. Still not sure which
one I will use. Sorta leaning toward a dwarf butterfly bush.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 0:09

The containers are important. If they get too hot, too wet, etc. they can have bad effects on your plants. Therefor you need to select a plant that is suitable for your containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here