Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When does Miss Kim (dwarf) Lilac Bush Bud

Posted by nanaclaire 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 21:20

I see no buds. I have buds on my azalea and my other lilac bush ... and leaves on my butterfly bush. My Miss Kim Lilac has looked dead since last Fall but someone told me it was still alive. Still wondering since I see no life to it yet.

I know it is early. March ...but we have had a very mild winter and thought maybe I'd see buds. ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When does Miss Kim (dwarf) Lilac Bush Bud

Mine broke bud about 2 weeks ago but, although the flowers have emerged from the buds, they are still a little ways away from flowering.

I can find the date on my spreadsheet at work tomorrow if you really want it. I would think you would at least be at bud swell with this warm weather.

John

o

John, that's my thinking too. Well last Fall it looked dead to me but someone said not to worry, so I tried. LOL It just has branches. Maybe I should scrape toward the bottom and see if there is green there. If not, I'm pulling it and putting my miniature roses in its place.

My other purple lilac bush I bought last year (a baby) already has green leaves.

o

Definitely worth a scratch test!

And looking at my records, Ms. Kim actually broke bud Feb 28th making it one of the earliest to wake up for me this spring.

John

o

You are in Zone 7b ... I'm in 5b. I did cut off a branch and there IS green inside so maybe it isn't dead. Usually we don't get this kind of weather, though, until May or June. It was such a wierd winter, very mild, sometimes freezing, back and forth, and little snow.

I WANT to plant some miniature roses in that area and wondering if they would smother the Miss. Kim if I left it there. Don't plan on digging it up and transplanting somewhere else... if it dies, I'll just have min. roses there.

o

The way things are popping even up in zone 6 (which is what was beside your username previously) I figured your Ms. Kim would be further along.

I say it's your garden, do what ever you want! I did end up transplanting my Ms. Kim twice last year and it still made plenty of flowers for such a small bush. It was particularly easy to transplant as well but it came in a 2 gallon (I think) pot early last spring.

John

o

Yeah, I moved so when I looked up my zone, it changed. I'm going to just see how it does and if I don't see any leaves, I'll dig it out and put something else there. Thanks for your input.

o

My Miss Kim is budding out now and has lots of leaves. I am in southern Indiana and under the new hardiness zone map, I am in 6b now. I tried to change my profile, but for some reason it won't save it.

Vickie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here