Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zooba72

Schip laurel Help

zooba72
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm hoping someone has some advice for me. We have had a tough winter here in NY and the 12 Schip Laurels that I planted in the early fall are not looking well anymore. I recently noticed some yellowing and drooping leaves on a lot of them. Is there anything I can do at this point? or must I just wait and see? Thank you in advance.

Comments (11)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

This was a rough winter for newly planted Broad leafed evergreens. I think Skip laurels are probably rated a zone 6b plant? They are probably best planted in early Spring so they have time to establish and put down good roots over the growing season.

I have seen some leaf damage even on established Skip laurels from winter here in zone 7a. So I'm surprised damage isn't even worse on yours! Yours don't really look too bad to me, but more damage may show up in the coming months. Make sure they are well watered this summer. Likely they will recover quickly in early summer.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice. Should yellow or brown leaves be removed in the spring? or should I just let it be and keep it watered? Thank you.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice. Should yellow or brown leaves be removed in the spring? or should I just let it be and keep it watered? Thank you.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Leave the leaves alone. They'll fall naturally if they're dead.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

keep them PROPERLY watered ....

what are the stakes for.. they dont look high enough to be doing much of anything ...

did you plant them... or was it a pro job???'

what he said about winter ... plus transplant shock didnt help ...

see link for watering... and let us know.. if , in planting... there is anything else we should know about how they were planted .. like burlap was left on large transplants ... etc ....

ALL 'evergreen' plants..lose their leaves.. they do not stay there forever... yours has just sped up the process.... they will fall off.. when the time is appropriate ... no need to do anything about them ...

and no.. 'feeding' them.. will not help.. never feed a stressed plant

ken

ps: lawn watering is not good enough.. see link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• zooba72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With regards to burlap ... All string around the neck of the plant were cut and burlap was removed from the top of the root ball. The rest of the burlap along the bottom was left in place but was no longer tight because rope was cut. I purchased from a very good nursery and the plants were well watered, but again, the fall was very very dry here.

10 years ago

All laurels -- even established ones -- need supplemental irrigation here in the Mid-Atlantic in summer.

I swear we are in some kind of rain shadow from the Appalachian Mountains. I've seen a lot of laurels over the years -- especially Skip laurels just die from lack of moisture in August. People don't think to water them.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello again ... I'm resurrecting this thread to follow-up on the Schip Laurel winter damage. It looks like they all survived but several have some dead branches. I haven't cut these off yet because there are some hints of green. Just curious what people ordinarily do? Cut them off? Wait and see if they develop new growth? I was leaning towards cutting them off since they look terrible. Thank you.

9 years ago

If branches are dry and brittle, likely they have died back. If you scrape bark and it's still green, then there's a chance they will still sprout from it.

You have to weigh patience with intolerance of that dried up look. LOL!

If it were me, I'd probably prune the dried stuff back a bit. But I'd ascertain whether the twig is alive or dead first.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you dave_in_nova, I will do as you suggested.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville