Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arylkin

extremely drought tolerant, deciduous hedge for a screen

arylkin
10 years ago

I have a ravine behind my house. We moved in last year, and built a fence right away- it's a really steep drop down so we built a fence as soon as we moved in (I have a three year old). Behind us is a high school, and the ground on the other side of the ravine is much higher than our side, to the point that above our fence, we can see people walking their dogs all day long. We have picture windows all along that side of the house, and I wish we could block the view of the school. In the summer when it's leafed out it's not bad, but in the winter and spring it's terrible.

I want to plant a hedge along the back of my house. At first I was thinking something evergreen, but I thought it would stick out since my neighbors have only deciduous shrubs and trees along the back, which we can see from our yard and windows.

The only trouble is that I need something drought tolerant. I know new shrubs will need to be watered, but I can't walk across the ravine since it's too steep, so I have to walk like a quarter mile to get to the other side to water where I want to plant them. Is there anything that will not really need to be watered much in the summer? We get a good amount of rain in the spring, but it gets hot and dry in the summer. To water them I'd need to pack watering cans in my wagon and walk it a quarter mile down to where the shrubs are going to be.

I'd like something that's around 10 feet high, but could be up to around 20 feet. I was looking at golden privet or maybe forsythia. I'm open to anything since I don't know much about shrubs. It'll be in full sun.

I really want to block out this view (and the horrible people that are always walking by looking down into our yard).

Any ideas? Thank you so much in advance!

Here are some pictures:

{{gwi:246751}}

{{gwi:246752}}

{{gwi:246753}}

Comments (5)