Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wine & Roses *or* Shining Sensation Weigela

Posted by GrapeSocks 5b (NE IL) (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 22:25

I'm looking for a purple-leafed shrub as a foundation planting. The darker the purple, the better.

The intended site is a southern exposure in full sun, rocky clay soil (well-drained) next to the house. The area can accommodate a shrub that stays about 5' wide, or must withstand the pruning shears.

I'm considering either a 'Wine & Roses' weigela or a 'Shining Sensation' weigela. Or is there another shrub to consider? What would you pick, and why?
One other consideration: Nan Ondra did a nice post on her blog about coppicing Cotinus coggygria that got me interested. The purple foliage sure looked gorgeous in a small shrub form. Can anyone out there share their experience doing this? I realize coppicing would forego the 'smoke' but I'm really only interested in the purple foliage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wine & Roses *or* Shining Sensation Weigela

I have both and I pick Shining Sensation based on the fact that my W&R has always had a "failure to thrive" problem. I've changed locations (which of course sets it back some) and altered culture, but it has remained a wimpy plant.

My SS has filled in its spot admirably since planted in my sunny front foundation. I've only had it a couple of years. I used to have a Ninebark 'Summer Wine' there but it had a lot of fungus disease problems. The Ninebark replaced a Purple Sandcherry that was okay, but suffered from a leggy bottom that I could never get to fill in no matter how much pruning I did.

As far as purple-ness, I honestly can't remember. I will look for a picture.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 21:42

Shining Sensation seems to have better color...I'd vote for this one as well.

If I'm not mistaken Fine Wine is an improved version of Wine and Roses.

o

Thanks Wendyb and Whaas. 'Shining Sensation' it will be. Lucky for me, I already spotted some at one of my favorite nurseries. Will check out the 'Fine Wine' for kicks, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here