Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loropetalum lost all its leaves

Posted by sleonard TX (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 22:38

First of all, I have to say I am a novice to gardening and pretty much don't know anything. I had some loropetalum planted a few years ago in our flower beds and they were fine. But last year I noticed one of them was losing its leaves. I wasn't sure what was wrong but I didn't do anything about it. Anyway, now I can see 3 of the 5 loropetalums are losing their leaves too. Not sure what's wrong. I have some Indian Hawthorne in the same bed and they are all fine. The Indian Hawthorne are in the front row of the bed and the loropetalum are in the back row. Are the loropetalum with no leaves dead?

If anyone has any insight on what could be the problem that would be great. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loropetalum lost all its leaves

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 0:18

Timing might point to cold injury. Otherwise, shrubs often defoliate when there is a problem with the roots: too wet, too dry, pathogenic or pest infestation...

As the roots go, so goes the top.

o

Do a scratch test on your loropetalums. Use your fingernail, a knife, or a pair of hand pruners to scratch the outer layer of bark to expose the cambium layer. If the cambium is green and the twig supple, the plant is probably fine and will recover as spring progresses.

o

Lorop. took a hit this winter. I agree with the scratch test. Also they don't like wet feet and this will make them drop leaves and die. Ask me how I know.

o

Mine did the same and its because I was overwatering them since the heat in southeast Georgia is brutal. Its still surviving I have about 10 more purplish leaves then I had last year:-)You may want to buy some root stimulator such as Superthrive, Lilly miller vitamin b1 plant starter or Miracle Gro makes some as well. Good luck as I am having some for mine:-)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 12:36

The Bottom Line
• Vitamin B-1, aka thiamine, does not reduce transplant shock or stimulate new root growth on
plants outside the laboratory
• A nitrogen fertilizer is adequate for transplanting landscape plants; avoid use of “transplant
fertilizers” that contain phosphate
• Healthy plants will synthesize their own thiamine supply
• Healthy soils contain beneficial microbes that synthesize thiamine as well
• Difficult-to-transplant species may be aided by application of auxin-containing products in
addition to nitrogen, but read the label and don’t add unnecessary and potentially harmful
chemicals (this includes organics!)
• Adequate soil moisture is crucial for new root growth; be sure to irrigate new transplants
frequently and use mulch to reduce evaporation

Here is a link that might be useful: The Myth of Vitamin Stimulants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here