Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Can anyone ID this large pink camellia?

oath5
12 years ago

I was driving to a mulch job this morning when something caught my eye while I past. Next to a small house as part of the foundation planting This big froth of pink. A lot of cherry trees are blooming around here as well as redbud, quite a lot are starting their spring show, but it's too early for Old fashioned garden roses and really anything you usually see THAT big a bloom right now I'd say blossoms were about 3 inch diameter? Maybe bigger? Cupped form?

Camellias are hardy here but they're not terribly common, I've only ever seen a few large specimins looking happy as can be. But people are planting them more here at least they're becoming more available (as are other awesome plants, leucothoe for example) . This looked older, next to a massive mature hydrangea (that was 8+ wide) so I don't think it's an Ackerman or one of the April series....I couldn't detect much of a fragrance but it was beautiful and rather exposed site, I was pretty surprised people tend to talk about camellias as pampering them but this looked right at home. I tried at the door to inquire about it but homeowner wasn't home,

{{gwi:246899}}
{{gwi:246900}}

Anyone recognize this? This means a great shrub for here, it was massive (8+ tall) and looked super healthy.