Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forsythia Show Off: Starlet and Sugar Baby

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 23:54

Who has grown Forsythia Show Off 'Starlet' and 'Sugar Baby' varieties? Looking for dwarf heavy blooming Forsythia and these seem to fit the bill but are they hardy? do they bloom as well as the Proven Winners advertising states? I've also seen some conflicting info of width on the Starlet, some say 24-36", other places state 36-48".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forsythia Show Off: Starlet and Sugar Baby

Forsythia is one of the hardiest shrubs around - absolutely no worries for a PNW zone 7. Keep your pruning shears away and any forsythia will bloom heavily - these are no exceptions. Expect to grow to the upper end size-wise and then some. Everything seems to grow at least slightly larger than typical in our climate :-)

o

Anymore feedback on these varieties from people growing them re: size and quality/quantity of blooms?

o

they can be kept to any size you wish thru proper rejuvenation pruning ...

nothing really stops growing at some magical size.. especially forsythia ...

plant one and come back in 5 or 10 years.. and its going to be huge... compared to the numbers you note ..

so you keep renovating such ...

ken

o

so you have first hand knowledge that its just marketing hype that these are truly dwarf varieties?

o

I would be interested in this information too. I was looking at the Sugar Baby, and it looks cute. At that size, if for real, it could be tucked in anywhere.

o

Here you go, I found an older thread about the same thing. This answers the question. Yes, they are great, go for it. Also lists some other small ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Older thread about same topic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here