Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjm_nj

Privet ID and help fixing old hedge.

mjm_nj
13 years ago

I have a Privet hedge around my property it was here when I bought the house and it is very old. There are some thin spots and spots that were totally gone. Last year I replaced a some of the bushes with what I could find and apparently Privet is fairly hard to find around here. By the time I was doing it it was late in the season for Privet and I found about 5 or six bushes at a Homedepot. They were labeled California Privet and since it was leafed out so I just IDed them to the piece I brought with me and the picture on the tag looked like the hedge wall I have. This year I want to fix up the other trouble spot. I went to Homedepot last weekend and I see they have some California privet, but the picture is a big flowering bush. I know privet flowers, but I don't think mine has really ever flowered since I usually trim it before it blooms. I looked online and there seem to be a few different varieties of Privet. I know I don't have the golden kind. I linked a folder with pictures of what I have. I know they are not great but this is the only section with some leaves still on it. My questions are Is California Privet regular privet? Will is match what I alread have? Also, I included some pictures of the trouble spots. My plan after searching the forums is to hard prun everything and really cut the thin parts down even more then plant new bushs in the holes. Does that sound ok?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1971GTO/Privet?authkey=Gv1sRgCOPx2ofX57PnrgE&feat=directlink

Comments (6)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I can't comment for sure on whether your Califorian privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) is the same as your existing hedge, but it looks likely. However, I can say that privet can be cut back very hard to rejuvenate it. You could cut half the stems down to 6 inches this year and half next year. It also grows very easily from cuttings so you could grow your own replacement plants using the trimmings from the cut back.

• mjm_nj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I think I was starting to do something like that last year. I need to have this hedge. I live on a busy road and I need the privacy. I did go around last year and pull out all the dead brnaches and debrie. I went around and cut out older looking shoots, here and there through out the hedge wall. Is that what you are talking about? Also, how can I grow privet from a cutting?

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Cut a lot of lengths about a foot long and stick 6 inches into the ground in reasonable soil. Do plenty to allow for duds. Water occasionally and forget them. Or if you want to be a bit more organised do it in pots of compost. You can do it more carefully but privet roots so easily it's not worth the fuss.

Your hedge needs pretty vigorous treatment IMO - at the moment it's a row of shrubs. But what do you want it to look like? To me a hedge looks like the link but maybe you don't want it so dense? Also privet is evergreen here so I might have a different conception of what you area after.

Here is a link that might be useful: Privet hedge

• mjm_nj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks I am going to try and grow some from cuttings. Does it matter with temperature? I am in zone 6b. It is still a little cold here. Should I wait for summer to try this? These hedges do drop there leaves at some point during the winter. When it gets really cold. That's why they look extra sad.
    As for what I want. I would like a thick dense wall of hedge. I know it will take some time to get it going again... From what the old owners told me there was a car accident 25 years ago and a car ended up crashing through the hedges and ending up on the front lawn. They said the hedge was never the same after that,lol!

• mjm_nj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The second picture is what I would like, but I know that will be a lot of work and time.

Here is a link that might be useful: privet wall

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Apologies for my incorrect link. I obviously had something else on my clipboard from what I thought. As for the correct timing in your zone I'll leave that to someone else since I have no experience of your climate. Over here I'd do it any time but you might need to do it differently.