Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eastern White Cedar hedge spacing

Posted by ekloc ~7 (South Ontario) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 0:27

I spontaneously bought 40 3 feet high Eastern White Cedar trees to plant along my 70 feet long chain fence. Since I am novice gardener soon after the purchase I started to do research on how to best plant it which brought me to this great forum.

I read varying opinions regarding the spacing. One expert suggested that the trees should be planted as closely as possible ("root ball to root ball") while others said that trees should be minimum 3 to 6 feet apart.

I'd like my hedge to be thick and not too high - 12 feet at the most so I can prune the tops off. How close should the trees be from each other? Would 40 trees be too much to cover roughly 70 feet in length?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eastern White Cedar hedge spacing

If you post this in the Conifer forum you will get a variety of very experienced opinions.
You did not specify a cultivar so I have to say that I do think keeping them to 12 feet may prove problematical unless you have chosen something really dwarf.

o

how to plant at link

yes they are conifers...

they really are going to be a lot of work to keep at 12 feet ...

spacing for screening.. is all about how fast you want a screen .. versus how long you are willing to wait for them to fill in ...

google the common name you gave.. find the latin name.. then google that.. then flip to the IMAGES side.. to see the potential for size ...

if there is an actual cultivar name .. the part in quotes.. it is very important to add that to any searches ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thank you for your responses. The cultivar name is Thuja occidentalis
(Eastern White Cedar) - Cupressaceae (Cypress Family)

I found out from the nursery that sells the trees that they should be planted every 50 cm (1.5 feet)

o

"I found out from the nursery that sells the trees that they should be planted every 50 cm (1.5 feet)"

Unless they are specific cultivar (you list the species) 1.5 feet would have them trunk to trunk in time. Are you planting a hedge or a stockade?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thuja occ

o

I planted several Thuja occidentalis "Emerald Green Arborvitae" against the south wall of my house years ago. My plants were small (about 12 inches). I spaced them about 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart. They're now about 8 feet tall and have filled in just right. Early on a couple of them didn't establish themselves and died even though they were well watered and in good starting condition. When I replaced them I dug plenty of peat into the soil and added a couple of handfulls of sulphur granuals. (My soil is heavy clay and neutral to slightly alkaline.) The replacements did very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here