Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Share your experiences with this plant...

Posted by rhizo_1 7a AL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 0:38

Was privy to a large landscape design done by an L.A. from a different part of the state. I was a little put off by the inclusion of azalea varieties and other plants that are totally unsuited to this area (not unusual with L.A.s), but also noted a plant that I am totally not familiar with and thought that I'd bring it up here to see what others have to say about it.

It's Distylium myricoides 'Vintage Jade'. Sounds too good to be true, but if it's not, I want some!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Share your experiences with this plant...

Oh, those look great. They list several of our local nurseries as sources, so I may check it out this afternoon or tomorrow. Thanks. I'll let you know if I get any. :)

o

Hey rhizo,
Looked for this at one of our local nurseries and they have never heard of it-kept saying maybe it as a perennial...maybe not hardy here...etc. I will keep looking because I agree with you that these sound marvelous. Did find out that they are from the witchhazel family. Will let you know if I find one when I search again this coming weekend!

o

All I know is that I went to a conference last year in Macon and one of the speakers was really sold on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dirr's hybrids

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here