Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
execassistant

Hot sauce on Shrubs

Debbie Laird
11 years ago

I'm trying to keep my dog from chewing/destroying my shrubs. Cayenne pepper works to keeps him out of my hens and chicks, but the powder won't hang on the shrubs. If I spray hot sauce on them will it hurt my shrubs?

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

have you talked with your vet ..

there is a product called bitter apple ...

ken

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've tried multple over the counter products and they don't work. I know he will leave the pepper alone. I can mix the red pepper with water and spray it, but the hot sauce is already liquid.
    Last year he chewed own two hydrangeas and three rose of sharon's, breaking the branches to the base.
    Will hot sauce hurt my shrubs?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

whats on the label ....

tomato and vinegar are highly acidic.. and many un-named shrubs might not appreciate a wet rub of acid ...

so the question is NOT whether the sauce will harm.. its whether the ingredients will ... as you already know.. they dont seem to mind powder pepper ....

dont you think???

the odds of finding anyone with EXACT experience.. i would think .. will be low ...

good luck ...

ken

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

There exist hot pepper based insect repellents. I've used them as deer repellent on occasion. That's where I'd start.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Why don't you do a test patch on your plant to find out.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Our dogs do not like the taste of citrus. I have never tried orange oil as a dog repellent, however.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I'd worry about the vinegar in hot sauce damaging the plants. I think I would put hot peppers in the blender with some water and powdered milk. After thorough mixing, I'd let it sit for a day, filter it, and then put it into your sprayer. The milk will help the hot pepper stick to the leaves. I'd worry about the vinegar in hot sauce damaging the plants.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting