Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot sauce on Shrubs

Posted by lodalady (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 6:31

I'm trying to keep my dog from chewing/destroying my shrubs. Cayenne pepper works to keeps him out of my hens and chicks, but the powder won't hang on the shrubs. If I spray hot sauce on them will it hurt my shrubs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot sauce on Shrubs

have you talked with your vet ..

there is a product called bitter apple ...

ken

o

I've tried multple over the counter products and they don't work. I know he will leave the pepper alone. I can mix the red pepper with water and spray it, but the hot sauce is already liquid.
Last year he chewed own two hydrangeas and three rose of sharon's, breaking the branches to the base.
Will hot sauce hurt my shrubs?

o

whats on the label ....

tomato and vinegar are highly acidic.. and many un-named shrubs might not appreciate a wet rub of acid ...

so the question is NOT whether the sauce will harm.. its whether the ingredients will ... as you already know.. they dont seem to mind powder pepper ....

dont you think???

the odds of finding anyone with EXACT experience.. i would think .. will be low ...

good luck ...

ken

o

There exist hot pepper based insect repellents. I've used them as deer repellent on occasion. That's where I'd start.

o

Why don't you do a test patch on your plant to find out.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 9:50

Our dogs do not like the taste of citrus. I have never tried orange oil as a dog repellent, however.

o

I'd worry about the vinegar in hot sauce damaging the plants. I think I would put hot peppers in the blender with some water and powdered milk. After thorough mixing, I'd let it sit for a day, filter it, and then put it into your sprayer. The milk will help the hot pepper stick to the leaves. I'd worry about the vinegar in hot sauce damaging the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here